Species of the week: Jem’Hadar

Deep Space Nine
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

While there is time and money issues they could just creat 2 or 3 good species and use them for more than 2 episodes rather than give us 50 crappy species like we usually get.

Unfortunately, the logic of Star Trek is that at least one or two aliens will be necessary every week...at the very least, a few non-human Starfleet officers. Then there's the alien species of the week, the civilian aliens milling in a crowd....in practice, it's almost impossible to save and proportion your money like you suggest. Star Trek, in its simplest form, is basically the Alien of the Week, and in this climate, big, complicated alien species designs are very, very difficult to pull off...
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But what non humanoid life forms do we have. Tholians and 8472. They would not need a lot of time and effort to make a few non standard life forms and reuse them quite often.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

But what non humanoid life forms do we have. Tholians and 8472. They would not need a lot of time and effort to make a few non standard life forms and reuse them quite often.
Granted. But on a tight budget, people usually aren't thinking in the grand picture of 'if we spent x amount now to build two non-human lifeforms, then we could re-use them later'. They're usually just worrying about the needed designs from the episode that airs in a month.
So, lack of long-term thinking? I think its usually just called 'doing the job right'... :P

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So, lack of long-term thinking? I think its usually just called 'doing the job right'...
I'd always heard that referred to as 'doing the job wrongly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

WRT all these comparisons between Trek and Who, look at the old series of Doctor Who and compare it to Trek. While it was notorious for plastic aliens and almost every important character either being or appearing human, they still managed to include huge numbers of new aliens. If they can do it why not the far bigger budget and better technology to recent Trek series. They also managed to write the plots well enough that those poor - quality aliens and sets didn't matter. After all, in its basic concept, what's scary about an oversized pepperpot with a sink plunger and an egg whisk attatched to it? In comparison, look at the technology available to recent Trek series and look at the scripts. The first great, the latter, somewhat less so.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I think you're making it a bit more simple that it actually is. If there was a formula to what makes a film great, or one key element, then there wouldn't be any bad films.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think anyone is suggestiing that. What we're criticising is the ridiculous lack of creativity among the Trek series.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:I don't think anyone is suggestiing that. What we're criticising is the ridiculous lack of creativity among the Trek series.
Oh yes, there is no creativity, but it gets quite hard after a while. Doctor Who caters to more laid back fans. Star Trek gets guys like us picking at every little thing they do. I'm not defending them (far from it), but just saying that any film in general, it's hard to do. If your boss tells you to write a script or you don't get paid half a million dollars, you're going to write a script. Crappy or not.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

In comparison, look at the technology available to recent Trek series and look at the scripts. The first great, the latter, somewhat less so.
I'm curious; what do you mean specifically when you refer to 'recent Trek series'...Enterprise? Voyager? Deep Space Nine? Because while I would definitely agree that Voyager and Enterprise have had major problems in the script department, I think that TNG's and DS9's scripts were some of their better points...but whatever...to each his own.

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They still lacked creativity in alien species and the wider story arcs.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.