Defiant

Deep Space Nine
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well even if you downgrade Cardasians and Breen to only tiny players there's still a balance of power. I don't think it was intentional of the Trek writers but you've got a perfect environment for lasting peace.

Romulans---------Federation----------Klingons
__________________^__________________

That's totally a scale.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

You have to remember the Klingons and Romulans have had space flight long before us. They have been intereating for hundreds of years maybe.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Before the Federation as in the UFP, true, but remember the Federation compromises just as many Vulcans as it does humans; and Vulcans had space travel before Romulans - they must have, considering the Romulans only existed thanks to the ability of Vulcan space travel (and thus move to Romulus from Vulcan). So really while the Federation as a organisation may not have had space travel before the Romulans/Klingons, a major part of it did, which then branches out into the rest of it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yes but the Federation mentality and the Vulcan mentality are different. The Vulcans dont like to mess with othr species, the Federation is almost adicted to it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:Yes but the Federation mentality and the Vulcan mentality are different. The Vulcans dont like to mess with othr species, the Federation is almost adicted to it.
That's like saying that the Federation mentality and the human mentality are different - you're treating them separately. Vulcan is an integral part of the Federation, and a lot of people confuse the Federation as being just mainly human, rather than a huge conglomerate of lots of species, and this confusion is also brought about thanks to Starfleet mostly appearing human, and a lot of people have the image of Starfleet interchangable with the Federation. The Vulcans have just a big a say as humans in the Federation, so whatever Federation policy is, the Vulcans agreed (or compromised, or outvoted, or however it works) to it.

Still, the point stands, the Federation has all the abilities and past of Vulcan, so one of its most integral parts was round before the Romulans (and probably Klingons).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The klingons need peace to rebuild and they have been turning away form the ideals of the past due to the dominion war. They took so many losses that a new generation is now in the KDF. Many of them have never known war or hate towards the federation. Now, with the war over they have a strong sense of friendship between. Starfleet and klingon personel have had their trail by fire and came out as friends.

The romulans are just a pain in the 'hull'. Someone needs to slap them around for awhile so that their plans for war after war after war can come crashing down and they start looking to other things.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Romulans don't want to be at war. They want everyone else to be at war so they can pick up the pieces.

Also I wouldn't count of the Klingon friendship to much. They are a isolated honorable race. They wouldnt take kindly to having to rely on someone for help like they likely will at some point.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Remeber too that after the events of ST: Nemesis, some things ar about to done change on Romulus. Some ranking officers in the Romulan military came to the support of the Enterprise, and the entire Senate is currently residing in a dustpan. Romulans are anyhting but predictable; and I think that after the Dominion War and the Scimitar incident, the direction the Romulan Star Empire is going to take is completely up in the air.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

dustpan.......rofl!
If as Shinzon stated,that the romulans are prone to having regime change 'as usual, a new government took office' or whatever he said, seafort will know, for example the one which caused the shinzon project to be dusted, than i agree, the romulan star empire could go anywhere at the moment, the nature of their culture and priorities,makes them seem capricious and mercurial
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Dominion would have attacked us no matter what.
So? It was still a war.
The Cardassians war was hardly a war and more of a boarder dispute.
So? It still included combat.
Romulans haven;t had a war with the Federation only a few isolated attacks.
I suppose I dreamed about the whole Earth-Romulan war then...
AU doesn't mean anything.
It shows that its possible, and that circumstances need not be too different.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So? It was still a war.
Totally unforseeable thus they had no logical reason to plan for such a huge eventt.
So? It still included combat.
Combat that they were easily able to handle with there current military. Not enough to justify an arms race.
I suppose I dreamed about the whole Earth-Romulan war then...
Earth not the Federation.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Unfortantly we will never see the Enterprise episodes that cover the Earth-Romulan war but they were setting it up to be a retcon of the basic Federation species, the founding ones that is, as an alliance vs the Romulans.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would have hated that. I wanted to see humanity kick some ass. I am glad it didnt happen.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would have liked to see it, but I fear what the ST: Enterprise franchise might have done with the concept.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:I would have hated that. I wanted to see humanity kick some ass. I am glad it didnt happen.
Humanity clearly played a major role in the war, given the number of major Federation institutions that were set up on Earth, but it would have been good to see the Andorians and the Tellarites getting some decent screen time, perhaps in the same way the Klingons and Romulans assisted in the Dominion War.
Mikey wrote:I would have liked to see it, but I fear what the ST: Enterprise franchise might have done with the concept.
I don't think it would have been bad at all. From all I've heard, I think with Manny Coto in charge Enterprise was on the brink of turning the corner and making Trek great again.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.