If Enterprise kept running.......

Enterprise
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: If Enterprise kept running.......

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I will 'take' your word on the secondary hull, although I don't recall it dominishing over time...

Heck, the Galaxy had a fairly large secondary hull.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What I meant was that from TOS onward, we didn't see models with limited or no secondary hulls (which weren't kitbashes) - e.g., Saber, Steamrunner, Akira, Nova - until the later 24th century.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:What I meant was that from TOS onward, we didn't see models with limited or no secondary hulls (which weren't kitbashes) - e.g., Saber, Steamrunner, Akira, Nova - until the later 24th century.
Oh, okay. My bad, there.

EDIT:

Wait, what about the Miranda or COnstellation? Not much seconary hull there!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The Miranda was a great design but was, after all, a kitbash of Connie parts. Constellation... you got me. We didn't see one until the 2360's, but it was supposedly somewhat antiquated by that time, so - IDK - 2320's or so?
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Oh, okay. My bad, there.

EDIT:

Wait, what about the Miranda or COnstellation? Not much seconary hull there!
The Miranda has a fairly extensive superstructure on it's ass end though as does the Constellation. A good portion of the refit Constititution secondary hull was open space anyways, look at the engineering section and the massive shuttle/cargo bay.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The problem with the NX was that it was just a god-damn Akira flipped upside down and used all the same old Trek-tech with different names. Nothing was different. They had shields, they had phasers, they had torps, they had real-time comms, they had impulse drives, they had transporters, hell I think they even had fracking replicators. The slower warp drive made no difference as the ship moved at the speed of plot (I don't think I ever heard anyone mentioning that it would take a while to get anywhere). Seriously, shove the Akiraprise into TNG, DS9 or VOY, change some names, and you have a 24th century ship without needing to change anything.

If you're going to do a prequal series, then don't use the exact same stuff as you used in every other series. It was commented on numerous times that lasers were more primitive than phasers, so why not shove lasers on the NX instead of the phaser wannabes? Why not use nukes instead of torps that look and react the exact same as photon torpedoes? Why not show a mess hall on the ship with a chef? Why not make the ship without shields, leading to heightened tension during fights (because now every shot is going to do damage)? Why not scrap the transporters and just use shuttles? Why not show the NX on its own, with orders taking months to arrive? Why not make the slow speed of the ship of some importance to the show? Why not show a ship that looks like it was built by humans one hundred years from now, instead of a 24th century rip-off?

ENT had tonnes of potential, the writers blew it by giving us the exact same show we watched before with different names.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have to agree. I liked the Akiraprise as a design. not as a Chronologically-fitting design. Its just too damn modern! The hull looks more modern than a Sovereign for godsake. It looks, feels and acts like a more compacted Akira. End of dit.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

See despite its problems, I don't dislike Enterprise. The characters were better than Voyager, the problems realistic (despite a lot of liberties being taken), and there was a certain primitive feel. The ship itself and the technology was too advanced. The continuity problems were annoying, but it's fiction after all, so I could deal mostly.

If it kept running I'd have liked to have seen more first contact missions, some references to planets we'd see in the future, perhaps a Botany Bay mention, etc. Coto was doing wonderfully, IMO.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, all those "would like to see" items you mentioned turned out to be "never seens." I agree that Coto was taking the show in the right direction, but he unfortunately had too great a hole to dig himself out of. It would have taken too long for him to bring the viewership back up to what a network would consider a sustainable level.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Bryan Moore wrote:See despite its problems, I don't dislike Enterprise. The characters were better than Voyager, the problems realistic (despite a lot of liberties being taken), and there was a certain primitive feel. The ship itself and the technology was too advanced. The continuity problems were annoying, but it's fiction after all, so I could deal mostly.

If it kept running I'd have liked to have seen more first contact missions, some references to planets we'd see in the future, perhaps a Botany Bay mention, etc. Coto was doing wonderfully, IMO.

Was just re-watching Season 4 lately, and their WAS a Boteny Bay mention, by Maliki, of the Augments. One thing confused me though. Soong was quoted at saying Enterprise outgunned them 3 to 1. But I thought Klingon ships at the very least equel to the NX class. Actually I thought that they were supposed to be more powerful.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Klingons were supposed to be more powerful...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Keyword: supposed
See despite its problems, I don't dislike Enterprise. The characters were better than Voyager, the problems realistic (despite a lot of liberties being taken), and there was a certain primitive feel. The ship itself and the technology was too advanced. The continuity problems were annoying, but it's fiction after all, so I could deal mostly.
My problem with it was that the characters were all fucking retarded and inconsistant and that any episode could easily be turned into a TOS/TNG/VOY episode with very few changes. Everything was exactly the same as it was before.
Shields? Polarised hull plating.
Transporter? Yup, they had that too.
Phasers? Just used a slightly different name.
Photon torpedoes? Same as above.
Even the ship looked like it belonged in TNG. The only thing they didn't have was a holodeck. I didn't get any "primitive" feel off it at all. Hell, they even had one episode that practicaly featured the freaking Prime Directive!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

They had a fair few episodes where they followed the PD - the retarded genocidal TNG version as well.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:The only thing they didn't have was a holodeck.
Yeah, but they found one to use once or twice. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

As well as a replicator............

BTW, I wonder whatever happened to the "magical" space station that was in the middle of Federation space.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.