Federation Naval Patrol

Voyager
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Federation Naval Patrol

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:Yeah using ships like the Soyuz for system patrol.
I was thinking that, actually. Though, the Bozeman had a Starfleet crew as far as we know. In the non-canon "Ship of the LIne" book, they Soyuz was said to be a border cutter in the Starfleet "Coast Guard," a concept very similar. I think it's an intelligent idea. System patrol, police forces, etc.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And you dont waste highly trained officers on boring missions.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:And you dont waste highly trained officers on boring missions.
What explains season 1 of DS9 then?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Sisko was a wash out after wolf 359. He needed an easy mission to pull himself together.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:Sisko was a wash out after wolf 359. He needed an easy mission to pull himself together.
Fair enough. I've been watching DS9 season 1 on SpikeTV here in the states. It's on at 2 in the morning, and rightfully so. There's a few okay episodes in there, but dear lord, some of them were boring as hell. That crew basically flatlined through season 1.

But I digest... [snickers]

Back to the Federation Naval Patrol: The only thing keeping me from thinking Coast Guard/Police is that those aren't exactly easy jobs, as Paris insinuated. With Starfleet technology blowing up if you so much as wink at it wrong, you'd think a Naval Patrol would be busy saving ships from Quantum Filaments, Subspace Anomalies, Hostile Aliens, Friendly Aliens mistaken as Hostile Aliens, Hostile Quantum Subspace Temporal Thermonuclear Rifts, and asteroids disguised in a hat, fake moustache, and funny glasses.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Sisko was a wash out after wolf 359. He needed an easy mission to pull himself together.
He had an easy assignment. He worked at the Fleet Yards for what, three/four years?

The guy was a burnout, a waste of the Fleet's time and money. He should have been fired out the door and would have save for Stafleets ridiculous policies.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Advanced tech tends to be twitchy, but somehow I doubt the Navy is using the most advanced kit. Hell private people run their own ships all by themselves thus running a standard ship cant be to hard.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Advanced tech tends to be twitchy, but somehow I doubt the Navy is using the most advanced kit. Hell private people run their own ships all by themselves thus running a standard ship cant be to hard.
Running your own ship can be incredibly dangerous, look at the Trans-Atlantic races for an example of what I mean. The people like John Wayne with their own DMS, hire crew to run it and sit around sipping cocktails.

The average mook can run a bass boat, yes. Running a large vessel requires training and experiance.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Nelix did it...

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Nelix did it...
He ran a glorified shuttle, that was busted when they found him IIRC.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Cargo people like Cassidy Yates do it aswel. Sure their ships arent massive and state of the art but thats my point. The Naval patrol is probably for system patrol from pirates and such, not needing hugely advanced ships.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Cargo people like Cassidy Yates do it aswel. Sure their ships arent massive and state of the art but thats my point. The Naval patrol is probably for system patrol from pirates and such, not needing hugely advanced ships.
She had a crew and was obviously a career freight hauler. Neelix was also ex-military and probably had some experiance flying shuttles or something similar.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah Cassidy had a crew but I'm doubting any of them were very amazing at their work. It shows that an average ship can work rather well with a average crew.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Yeah Cassidy had a crew but I'm doubting any of them were very amazing at their work. It shows that an average ship can work rather well with a average crew.

You don't have to be amazing to run a ship. You merely have to be trained and be competant. Seriously, how many "amazing" people are there in any trade or profession? You can be trained to do just about anything, provided your not a clinical retard.

Look at what happened with Jake and Nog in that runabout.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Trek ships, UFP ones mostly, have most of their systems run by the computer. The crew mostly just tells them where to go. Upkeep and basic service, the rest can be done at a space port.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu