Redesigned Classic Trek Enterprise

The Original Series
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thank you very much! Somtimes you just don't get appreciated for dragging conversations into randam discusions anymore....
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Tell me about it! I was just trying to stay in the spirit of the ditl forum by going off topic when I saw the opportunity. I just want to fit in! :cry:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

*grabs topic and sets it back on track so it can go in a new random direction later*

Is it just me or do the nacells on the new 1701 look a bit big for the ship?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the bulbs and the swept design might give that impression.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They looks a bit off, I think. Though, as Mikey said, it may just be the other features that give them that impression.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

To tell the truth the whole redesign kind of puts me off to tell the truth, the nacells and the drvie section just looks wrong.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good find, Kostmayer. I almost hate to admit it, but to me that looks like a very good middle ground between the TOS "Galileo" type and the ENT shuttlepod. Maybe this film will have production designers with a couple of functional neurons, after all.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, I like it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Interesting looking design. I'm not sure if I like the fins on the forward fusilage, or the engine pods, but overall it looks a good, solid TOS-like design. Any ideas regarding the number - 70172? Maybe a fleetwide serial number, rather than the ship-specific number scheme we've seen in other Trek.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would think you're right, Seafort - IIRC, TOS shuttlecraft were identified by their parent ship's registries.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I've had faith in JJ Abrams from the get-go (Lost is very attentive to detail, and fans pick the show apart continually), and that pic makes me even more confident that they can pull this off.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, the design of that shuttle falling nicely into the design chronology of the shows gives me more faith in the film.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Abrams himself has stated that he's a fan, and one of the writers is a die-hard 'Trekkie, while another is new to the franchise. That's probably good, as one will make sure everything fits correctly, and the other should keep the fanboy writing to a minimum.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, with Abrams at the helm, a writer who should know his Trek lore, and some new blood for the writing staff, I'm starting to surprise myself by being quite optimistic about this film's chances.
I'm still a bit worried about what they might do to the Connie, though.