What class would make Voyager if you could change it?

Voyager

What class would make Voyager if you could change it?

Intrepid
29%
Galaxy
7%
Sovereign
14%
Prometheus
No votes
Other
50%

Total votes: 14
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What class would make Voyager if you could change it?

Post by alexmann »

Reliant121 wrote:That's the thing that DITL seems to most hate about Voyager; the reset button took away what could have been a great part of the storylines (ie, scarce resources). The other thing is Janeway herself.
What about Neelix? I hated Neelix MUCH MUCH more than I Janeway.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:That's the thing that DITL seems to most hate about Voyager; the reset button took away what could have been a great part of the storylines (ie, scarce resources). The other thing is Janeway herself.
Don't forget the transformation of the Borg from an unstoppable, impersonal force of nature to the random mooks sent in to continue the Queen's personal grudge with Janeway.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Don't forget the transformation of the Borg from an unstoppable, impersonal force of nature to the random mooks sent in to continue the Queen's personal grudge with Janeway.
TNG had the Borg as an almost unstoppable force that required an entire fleet and a lot of luck to defeat but VOY just turned them too soft. Take "Endgame", 1 torpedo took out a Cube. WTH?
ImageImage
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Exactly. That's why we all hate VOY. So much potential but it was squandered time and again.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

It was a great idea just not the best execution of the idea.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It was a shite execution of the idea. The basic premise was of a lone starship, cut off from repair or resupply, trying to get home, with a crew split down the middle between a bunch of terrorists and the crew that had been sent to arrest them. What we got was the magic end-of-episode reset button, no Starfleet-Maquis tension whatsoever, and a Captain more interested in poking the anomaly-of-the-week than going home. It didn't help that the sole reason they were stuck there in the first place was because Janeway had never heard of a timer.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

"Worst Case Scenario" was about hte only episode to feature tension between Starfleet and The Maqius and that was only in a holoprogram.
ImageImage
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Apart from that the only Major episode with the Starfleet and Maquis treated seperately was "Caretaker"
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Not quite - there were a few early season episodes that mentioned the difference as well - Parallax and Learning Curve for example. The problem was that such episodes were far to rare, and the "tension" between Starfleet and Maquis was simply dragged up for said episodes, rather than being a constant background as it should have been.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't forget that, regarding said tension, the "show" almost never matched the "tell."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Don't forget that, regarding said tension, the "show" almost never matched the "tell."
On, the contrary - I think the two matched pretty well. The problem was that neither show nor tell matched either the premise or logic.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Not that either made sense, but when it was mentioned it was never depicted as it was mentioned.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I Think there was just too little of it.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Generally Voyager always felt to me like they were in out on the fringe of known Fed space as opposed to being on the other side of the galaxy.

Naturally, for money reasons you can't have a ship battered and altered constantly per epsiode. But what I always figured is that you weather the model or figure out some way of having detachable parts of the physical model to simulate damage areas or hastily repaired ones. Figure the way the E-nil looked in ST3. CGI makes this much easier.

The sets could be easier. As more battered they become just add more stuff to it. Solving flashback episodes is don't do them or be creative with the sets.

That's what I always figured. By the time of Endgame, Voyager looks like pure shit and only a step away from being like it was Year of Hell. New alien or developed technology that is visible too.

I think Basics should have been a Maquis episode where fractions take over the ship for the Kazon or Vidiians> Chakotay could have been caught in the middle between Janeway and his Maquis friends. More tension and conflict. Make Paris and Chakotay hate each other and constantly butt heads. Have Janeway don't trust the Maquis that much.

Have a larger crew complement, say 250. Makes it better to kill many people. Pick up aliens along the way as well. Then drop them off. Pick up new ones. Basically have small story arcs and episodes that lead into the next.

Personally I think the Intrepid is a fine ship but should double the length of the nacelles and widen them a bit. Makes the ship a bit more balanced.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

McAvoy wrote:Personally I think the Intrepid is a fine ship but should double the length of the nacelles and widen them a bit. Makes the ship a bit more balanced.
And get rid of the variable geometry!
ImageImage