Ship of the week: Dominion Bug Fighter

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They really wouldn't need carriers for the bugs. They could just build massive and nearly endless fleets of then let them loose on the galaxy! The carriers should only be used to conquer worlds and build breeding centers and over see ship yard construction, then move on to the next system.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. All those uses described for ship-borne fighters are already able to be carried out by the "bugs" without being carried. Why solve a problem that doesn't exist?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nothing for it, either. Rochey was in fact one of the people who argued agaisnt me in a different thread that if we haven't seen it onscreen, then we should assume that it doesn't happen.
Sorry, that's what I actualy meant to say.
Lack of sleep + computer + Star Trek = stupid mistakes. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
Nothing for it, either. Rochey was in fact one of the people who argued agaisnt me in a different thread that if we haven't seen it onscreen, then we should assume that it doesn't happen.
Sorry, that's what I actualy meant to say.
Lack of sleep + computer + Star Trek = stupid mistakes. :(
Just like Berman and Braga. :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Precisely. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Another thing is that the dominion should never have bothered with thier battleships and dreadnoughts. They were a waste of resources. If they only build 'bugs' and battlecrusiers they would be so great. I would love to command the dominion. :twisted:
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Another thing is that the dominion should never have bothered with thier battleships and dreadnoughts. They were a waste of resources. If they only build 'bugs' and battlecrusiers they would be so great. I would love to command the dominion.
Who wouldn't? Nearly unlimited resources, as many Jem'hadar as you can hatch, and shapeshifters as the ultimate espionage tools...it's the American dream! :lol:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Battleships are good for intimidation and taking on space stations and planets.

Sometimes you need big guns.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe so, but still a large fleet of Battlecrusiers could handle planets easliy enough. The battleships would be useful for stations and major fleet battles though I would hold them back until I could commit them to such. I would never leave them out of my defense line without a fleet around them. They make great line breakers for the fleet and heavy weapons platforms for taking out starbases and ODP's.

My ideal fleet for the dominion would be made up like this.
Bugs making up the bulk of course at around 75%. Battlecruisers taking about 15% to add some medium rate fire to my fleet and so I could have some ships with a better survival rate. 5% would be Battleships as the resources needed to build them would be massive and couldn't justify the cost but their use in major fleet battles would be beyond enjoyable to see. The last 5% would be made up of Carriers like the one from the game Dominion Wars. Equiped with KW production and moble suppies for building breeding chambers or just carring large numbers of troops would make for a powerful follow craft for after a battle and or system or planet had been won. It would come in to squadrons of around (this is just to give an idea).

15 Bug Attackcraft/fighters
3 Battlecruisers
1 Battleship
1 Carrier (Hopefully, this would not take part in the main battle.)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'd be very surprised if the Dominion put KW production aboard their ships - the whole point of the stuff is to keep the Jem'Hadar under control, and if the Jem'Hadar have control of KW production, then that control is lost.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Plus I think it is very hard to make.

Remember they were willing to give up a lot of territory so they could get a planet that could supply it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm not talking about taking over production and placing it aboard ship. I'm talking a ship that can setup production plants, carry large amounts of or produce small but maybe needed amounts while supply lines play catch-up. The world they wanted had the natural resources they needed to produce KW. I want to have a number of mobile platforms so that my front lines can stay mobile. Main supply would come from the factories on worlds that were already under control but this would give them the ability to operate at longer distances from worlds that produce KW. Instead of each ship having to leave and rotate it patrol area, the carrier would travel to and from allowing its home squadron to stay out duty indefinably. Thats what I had in mind.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Remember that the Dominion was contracting with A/B quad species (the Son'a) to produce White. I don't think that even small-scale production could be mobile.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would be looking to remove the need for other races to produce the KW. Even if small scale production isn't possible then at least I would be able to carry massive amounts with me where ever I would have to go. When the Carrier begins to run low the other ships would still have a full load as they would have been up until that point feeding off of the Carrier's suppy. The Carrier could leave to resupply and still allow the sqaudron to operate without the need to return to base. Carriers could also house troops and techs to repair and maintain the fleet abroad. Carriers wouldn't have to operate for just one squadron. They could be split between several as their cargo would last quite some time. When one runs low or out of KW, then the next could launch at the same time as the first leaves to return to base.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Regarding the Ketracel proudction, I find it more likely that the Dominion were contracting the So'na to supply KW in the AQ/BQ only in the event that they lost control of the wormhole. The idea that they couldn't produce the necassary quantaties themselves seems wrong to me.