Size Comparison of my ships

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Now with the Askad-Idibas...

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Lol if your ships keep getting bigger I can see something like the Askad-Idibas flying around
and just running into a Theramel class ship and seeing it go splat on the windows like a bug.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

ROFL, yeah, that's about right.

Really though, this is not that surprising. I mean, there's like 300 years between the Theramel and the Idibas. Take the most powerful
warship around in 1707 and put it next to a Nimitz class carrier, and what would it look like? What would the firepower disparity be?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But they usually reach an upper limit of sorts. Either due to resourse constraints, size restrcitions
due to treatys (Like after WWI) or they just don't see the need to.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Resources-wise... we have a Coalition that spans tens of thousands of worlds. Most of them are developed at least as much as Earth is now.

There are maybe something like several million tons of warships on Earth right now. America's carrier fleet accounts for a million plus all one its own!

Factor in construction technology hundreds and hundreds of years beyond present day Earth. It's not unreasonable that one planet could
build one ship like this, I would say. It wouldn't even be a crippling economic burden, it could be done quite easily.

So tens to hundreds of thousands of planets... tens to hundreds of thousands of these ships.

As for the need; as I mentioned before, don't think for one second that Humans and Turgrans are the only players out there. If
you thought of the Galaxy as Earth today, Humans and Turgrans would be along the lines of France and Britain in terms of power and
influence. Both maintain good forces, with the capability to go far beyond their own borders and do damage when they
get there. But they are not in any way the biggest stick in the galaxy.

I mentioned the exotic materials the Coalition is starting to employ. The single hardest material to get, and to use, is neutronium.
It's reeeeealy hard to get hold of, reeeealy expensive, and reeeeealy good for making things like critical components of midspace drive
engines, forcefield generators, etc. The only way to get it is to harvest it off a pulsar, the yonger the better. And the Coalition borders
just so happen to contain a nice young pulsar. It's... well think of it as being the equivalent of sitting on a honkin great oilfield today.

The Coalition is a major exporter of the stuff. Which makes them both very rich, and very dependent on interstellar trade. So the upshot
of that is, they need a big kick-ass Navy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If you thought of the Galaxy as Earth today, Humans and Turgrans would be along the lines of
France and Britain in terms of power and
influence.
Please tell me Humans are not the french :lol:

So are we going to come across the equivilant of the USA or China? And are they going to try and invade the coalition for their pulsar... ahem I mean liberate them from their oppresive govenment?

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There are several reasons why the Coalition tends to have more pull in galactic affairs than it really should. The neutronium trade is
one; there's huge demand for the stuff, and only a dozen or so places you can get it from (and yes, I looked it up and there are
indeed predicted to be around ten to twenty pulsars in our galaxy as best I can tell). Because of that they have a big and powerful Navy,
and a vested interest in keeping the peace in those places they sell to.

Also, what tends to happen is that as a species gets more and more advanced, they tend to pay less and less attention to what
the little powers are up to. There are those who are millions of years in advance of the Coalition... who spend all their time dealing
with those who are also millions of years in advance of the Coalition, and don't really have the interest to get involved in petty
little things like galactic wars. The Coalition has a lot of pull in part because they are just more involved than most others
with their technology level.

There are big species out there though. The Zaketh are amongst the biggest. They were a huge Empire a million or so years ago,
but are now a rather degenerate bunch. They don't take a whole lot of interest in the affairs of others. But though not what they once
where, they are still far and away beyond the Coalition. If their notice is drawn, and their internal politics works out such that they want
to become involved in a conflict, the fleet that would show up would be utterly overwhelming to anybody else. It would be like... well
like the USA going to war with Iraq! :)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I'd really be interested in seeing some of the races' ships that are several million years old. Be cool to see the alien design next to your very human designs (which I like they look like future battle ships /space ships not something fancy like Enterprise :P).
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The ship designs I do evolved to look rather like spacegoing versions of WW II battleships... that's very deliberate, because a somewhat
modified version of WWII is the combat model I picked for the ships originally. All the speeds, distances and such are based on
the WW II model - the basic rule is that 1 knott of speed equals 2,000 x c in my universe, so 1 nautical mile equals 2,000 light hours.
Weapon ranges, ship and fighter speeds, etc, are all based on that ratio.

To be honest I haven't really designed any non-Coalition stuff thus far. I'm mulling over whether to go for "uber-big, uber-powerful
version of a normal ship" or go for something radically different... like a ship made entirely of self-sustaining forcefields. I have no
idea what that would even look like though. :)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah super races could have huge ships 100 kilometers long or their most powerful ships could be the size of small fighters. You could go both ways since there are a lot of races out there.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For that matter your super race might all have something like a wristwatch where if you push a button it instantly transports you to wherever you want to be in the universe, or destroys whatever you want destroyed, or builds whatever you want built. Technology of the gods.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And now brought up to date :

Top Row : UCS Kororra
2nd Row : UCS Wolfsbane
3rd Row : UCS Askad-Idibas
4th Row : HMS / UCS Vanguard
5th Row : HMS Amzarg
6th Row : HMS Iowa
7th Row : HMS Swiftsure
8th Row : HMS Theramel, HMS Avenger
9th Row : IW Askad Travine, IW Askad-Colisels
10th Row : UES longbow
11th Row : UES Coventry
12th Row : UES Corvallen

I also put an old friend in, for comparison... :)

The year 3000 is the "present"; Kororra is the first ship I designed, and I worked back from there. So the combat ships don't get
any bigger than this, though there are some tankers and such that are significantly bigger (think oil tanker to big warship today.)

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Could you do a DITL strenght thing so we have some idea what its power is in relation to the ships we know.

Just a ruff guess since your weapons are so different.

DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

i have a feeling the enterprise d would get the shit kicked out of it less than a second :shock:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I get the impression that the Korrorra or Wolfsbane would be able to pick apart a 'Trek ship before the 'Trek ship was even in range to return fire.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer