Damage
16%

Total votes: 19
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Favorite Enterprise Episode of all time

Post by Deepcrush »

I could nail a screen shot print out of it to your skull.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ah, now everything seems normal again. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Someone should make a sig out of that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Demon971 wrote:with the most potential.
I will agree that it had potential. Almost as much as Voyager, however it consistently squandered that potential which to me is unforgivable.
I can understand other people not sharing that view, but I can't understand why there is so much hate for Enterprise and why there is such a vocal need to demonstrate that hate. Sort of peeves me when people go out of their way to crap on something just because they simply don't like. What about the people who do? No bloody respect or consideration for them.
Hi, welcome to the internet. You must be new here.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Demon971 wrote:I believe it was the best series of them all, with the most potential.
I agree that the series had great potential, although I think it's too close to call between it and Voyager. I disagree fundamentally regarding the quality, for reasons that will become apparent.
I can't understand why there is so much hate for Enterprise and why there is such a vocal need to demonstrate that hate.
I'll explain by take on it (or rather the intense dislike shown to the first two series in particular) further down, but regarding the vocal nature of the debate this is a discussion form. If everyone agreed it would be a pretty boring place to be.
Sort of peeves me when people go out of their way to crap on something just because they simply don't like.
It's merely the fact of people not liking it, but the reason why - it's shit.
What about the people who do? No bloody respect or consideration for them.
"Respect and consideration" does not require anyone to keep shtum about disliking a crap series.
Even with whatever contradictions or inconsistancies, which are very few
I disagree. Strongly.

Now, onto why Enterprise is shit.

The Technology:

The series is set closer to First Contact, in which humanity's only warp-capable spacecraft was a refitted ICBM, than to TOS. Moreover, other series had established that certain key pieces of technology (phasers, holodecks and cloaks being the main offenders) did not exist at the time Enterprise was set. Despite this, the technology of the series was, with a few notable exceptions, indistinguishable from that of the earlier series. Shields, phasers, torpedoes, cloaks and transporters were all present (in fact, if not in name), and while some effort was made to limit the use of the transporter, it remained a constant presence. The only major piece of kit that was significantly different was the use of grappling lines in place of tractor beams, and they only served to highlight the inappropriate presence of the other devices.

The Ship:

The Akiraprise. While the efforts of the producers to ensure that a unique design was developed, rather than using the Akira itself, the fact remains that the NX-01 is little different from the 24th century design, and certainly does not fit into the evolutionary pattern established by previous Enterprises.

The Characters:

Uninspiring to say the least. This ship was the first Earth vessel to be set off on a deep-space exploration mission. Instead of a crew of the best and brightest if was saddled with a bunch of idiots - Captain Punchbag in charge, George Bush's idiot brother in engineering, a comms officer who seemed to suffer from every phobia going, a liaison officer with a singular lack of tact (and whose main required assets as far as the producers were concerned were twofold, and nothing to do with acting ability), a helmsman who makes Harry Kim look like the centre of attention, and a pyromaniac weapons officer (albeit a competent one, usually for the ship).

The Prime Directive:

The PD was brought in after numerous fuckups in pre-Enterprise continuity. There was an excellent opportunity to depict some of the fuckups that led to the PD in the first place. Instead, we saw the NX-01 applying the exact same PD as we saw in previous Treks.

The episodes:

A few howlers for your consideration:

Broken Bow: Head-ridged Kligons and cloaking devices, a century early.
Unexpected: George Bush's idiot brother gets pregnant, and we see a holodeck several centuries early.
The Andorian Incident: Archer reveals one of his allies listening stations to their main rivals.
Dear Doctor: Crap science, and genocide is apparently justifiable.
Acquisition: Ferengi, several centuries before they were considered a mystery.
Minefield: Romulan cloaks, and a BoP that would fit very well as a distant successor to the BoT design, not a predecessor.
A Night in Sickbay: What exactly was the point of this thing?
Marauders: Deuterium mining and idiotic Kilingons
Regeneration: Like the Ferengi one, only worse.

I'm sure others could come up with their own pet hates, but suffice to say that Enterprise is a very long way from the best of Trek, and has only Voyager as competition for the worst.

Welcome to DITL. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Broken Bow: Head-ridged Klingons and cloaking devices, a century early.
I can forgive the head ridges, as that was, IMO, satisfactorily explained in after the augments arc.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:I can forgive the head ridges, as that was, IMO, satisfactorily explained in after the augments arc.
Coto managed to cover B&B's collective arse for their fuckup, and did it reasonably well. That does not excuse the original fuckup.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I liked Terra Prime. No fancy chemicals, good quotes, and an obvious threat to the founding of the Federation.

Regeneration could have been done nicely, if they had been willing to take a few risks. One of the bigger stunts would have been to kill off a few main characters. You'd basically show the Borg as a horrible threat that people should run, hide, and stay far away from.

Still, what would hav been good would have been showing how the characters worked to make the Federation. Take all the episodes from ST:TOS, and make it where the problems for TOS, are the idealized solutions. The races that are the heart of the Federation in TNG, are the potential threats for Enterprise, aso.

Put a 2-D chart on the wall, showing the status of the systems around Earth, and how their relationship with Earth is. It explains why Earth is the heart of the Federation, because we were the main ones who put forth the effort to make the Federation. This can also be used later, when the Romulan War starts, to track the Romulan invasion. This also lets the watchers know the order of the episodes, allowing each season to have a story.

You also make the characters change as the serioes goes on. A green ensign in season one might get promoted for season 2, and transferred off by season 3 (the actor plays an alien for the remainder of the contract). Real life navies change out the crews over the years, to avoid someone getting too comfortable, or limited in their skills. An exploration force would also have a list of places to go before they set out, rather than the Captain making it up as he goes along. You'd have the Captain adjusting as needed (such as exloring an asteroid that wasn't initially visible from Earth) within the limits of his orders/schedule.

Or just include a five year old kid, to see what plots don't make sense.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I liked the series. And that's all I'm gonna say.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I liked the series. And that's all I'm gonna say.
Yet more evidence, along with your dislike of Star by Star, that your taste in fiction is so bad as to be irrelevant to any discussion.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Yet more evidence, along with your dislike of Star by Star, that your taste in fiction is so bad as to be irrelevant to any discussion.
Yes, because liking/disliking something different from you makes it wrong. I... can't continue this conversation. Goodbye.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
I sincerely hope this was an exhibit of your habit of, how is it said, "taking the mickey." Otherwise, that is the single most offensive, insensitive, a$$hole statement I think you've ever made on this forum.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's Seafort - if he's speaking, there's a 99% chance he's taking the piss.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer