Enterprise Ramblings

Enterprise
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. "The Cage" showed visible laser beams in a realtively smoke- and dust-free atmosphere - it even showed rebounding effects from the door at which they were firing! OK, they could have called it something else, but using the term "phase" in the name was jsut too much, since the weapons in "The Cage" were expressly referred to as "lasers."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by CaptainQuantum »

Captain Seafort wrote:To be fair, on the "lasers" front they couldn't use true lasers because it would have severely limited what they could do with them (no phaserising effects, no visible-in-a-vacuum ship weapons). Though they could have come up with something to distinguish them from phasers.
Come now - the writers never let a little thing like physics stop them before. How boring would space battles be without sound in the vaccuum of space? I'm sure we could retcon an explanation for visible in space lasers if we tried.
sw-880
Crewman
Crewman

Post by sw-880 »

I for the most part really enjoyed Enterprise, most of the problems I had were due to the writers lack of willingness to respect what the other shows had already established. For example the first episode stating the Klingon Homeworld was only 4 days travel time away. A few changes to the dialogue and the addition of a "six weeks later" or something could have gotten around it.

It was annoying more than anything else and didn't stop my enjoying the series. I for one was sad to see it end so soon.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

sw-880 wrote:the writers lack of willingness to respect what the other shows had already established.
You echo my sentiments exactly. Welcome to the forum.
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Does anyone else feel that 50 years from now, when people ask questions about the continuity of Enterprise, Trek fans will say,"It is a personal matter, and we don't talk about it with outsiders." :oops:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

lol. That wouldn't suprise me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Funny - because the forehead eps were probably the best contribution to the 'Trek universe that ENT made.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it at least indicates B&B remembered there was a series before ENT. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That was Manny Coto or what ever his name is not B&B.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought the forehead arc was before Coto?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That was Manny Coto or what ever his name is not B&B.
Oh, good. For a moment I thought B&B gained some inteligence.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Pfft. That'll happen the day you and Teaos agree that the Galaxy is the best-designed ship in science fiction. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I would have preferred more like what they showed in "Silent Enemy", really alien aliens perhaps so unusual that a "political relationship" with them is not possible on the same terms as with a humanoid. Although, that would have been problematic for a prequel series (and I wish they hadn't done it as a prequel series.) If I were in charge of Trek writing, too, I would mandate that no race be introduced if they're going to be a significant factor in less than 3-5 episodes. Race of the week is boring and makes the universe feel more like Star Wars than Star Trek. If you're going to introduce us to some new makeup job at least make them part of the story for awhile.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I don't mind the "race of the week" so much so long as they aren't Humans on a different planet/ship/asteroid missile, and the story involving them is unique and engaging in some way, though UI agree some continuing follow up on their development/problem/general well being would be nice from time to time, not even a whole episode just an off hand remark would help hold it all together.

As to Enterprise, I see it like this, it was a good series but it was NOT Trek, if you watch it from the POV that it has nothing to do with Trek it can he highly entertaining.

I also think that it should be the first series to have Season 1-3 listed as Non-Cannon alongside TAS while S4 is allowed to remain in the Cannon area.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nice idea, but how can you justify it? I mean both the canon/non-canon aspect as well as ignoring the fact that ENT is unfortunately a 'Trek franchise.
as Bull offed Custer