ENT killer, ''Balance of Terror'?

Enterprise
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: ENT killer, ''Balance of Terror'?

Post by Lazar »

I dunno, it just seems like it was doomed to suck from the start. I gave up on it rather early.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:And what says "screw you, fans" without saying Star Trek? Enterprise.
Fixed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

thelordharry wrote: Is the main reason that everyone hates ENT down to canon contradictions? Sure, the writing was at best, unimaginative and weak but it's always seemed to me that when I read what most disliked about it, it was the contradictory nature of the canon it created?
I happen to like ENT... *runs*
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I like the cast, and the effects, but the writers seemed to have forgotten what they were writing; they made almost no effort to respect canon. Their ignoring of Worf's line " There were no phasers in the 22nd century" was something that struck me as plain blatant disregard; what the hell was wrong with continuing to use the plasma pulse weapons they had for the first 12 episodes?

The list of screw-ups is enormous, and even a great cast, and awesome SFX couldn't make up for that level of disrespect.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why not just go with what was already established, and just use lasers? :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Why not just go with what was already established, and just use lasers? :roll:
And nukes. I know; it almost seems like the writers never watched any 'Trek before coming up with ENT scripts. Except, we know they did. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd have gone for a much more "submarine mode" of combat. I'd have had torpedo weapons which ran for several minutes, and had nuclear warheads such that one hit = one kill. Combat would have been about trying to get the first shot in and/or evading the enemy torpedo before it could get you - the kind of thing we see in Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide.

I'd have given the ship no beam weapons. The crew would have hand lasers, or possibly even slugthrowers.

I'd also have made the ship seem much slower; I'd have made each season equal two years, rather than one, and have most of that time eaten up by referring to months to get from place to place. That would take a bit of paying attention to dates, but how hard can that be?

But what the hell, they didn't ask me!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:...But what the hell, they didn't ask me!
It's a shame they didn't ask people like us; the show would still be on. :?
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

that's where fan series come in. The universe is expanded further, while keeping in line with established canon.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I like Graham's idea, and prefer it To ENT as a whole, but i would have done it the reverse.

Instead of long range torp battles, I'd have either basic laser weapons or even mass driver cannons. But you have to get in at virtually point blank to actually hope to hit anything. Close slugfests, no frills combat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like either idea. Monroe - the constant disregard for established canon was annoying, but it was only a symptom of the larger problem - the thoughtlessness of the writing (which should have been the primary concern with something as tricky as a prequel.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You know, the fact that Archer just kept getting his ass handed to him got pretty annoying to me as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:You know, the fact that Archer just kept getting his ass handed to him got pretty annoying to me as well.
His fight with Dolim on the Death Sta... I mean "Xindi weapon sphere" was pretty awesome, IMO. :)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I agree. It's kind of funny though that everyone else kicks the hell out of him, but he's able to best a Xindi Lizard general. Ok, sure. :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:I agree. It's kind of funny though that everyone else kicks the hell out of him, but he's able to best a Xindi Lizard general. Ok, sure. :roll:
He was wearing the all-new Plot Power Belt during that episode. Didn't you spot it? :lol: