Dukat-class

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dukat-class

Post by Deepcrush »

The CU's ODPs used Plasma Torps didn't they? The same Torp design as the Romulans use.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Makes sense to me that the Cardies would be grabbing tech from anyone they can.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It certainly fits. It's commonly assumed that the Cardies have less resources than most to spend on production; they'd have less to spend on R & D as well, and already have an existing espionage organization.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Odo even said that the O'O was every bit the equal of the T'S. That seems to be their strong point. Phasers that equal the type X on their Galors and Keldons. QTs on their dreadnaughts. Plasma Torps on their ODPs. Regen shields which I thought came from the Klingons but I could be wrong. The CU seems to make its advancements by grabbing the stock of the other big three.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Regen shields which I thought came from the Klingons but I could be wrong
The Borg were the first race to use them, according to Memory Alpha at least. Starfleet also uses them on new ships such as the Prometheus.

The relevant Article if anyone is interested;

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Regenerative_shield
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

There was also the joint mission that the Obsidian Order launched wih the Tal Shiar - a perfect oppurtunity for the Cardassians to steal a bit of Romulan Tech.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Borg used regen hulls, not sheilds.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I aways assumed Plasma torpedoes were one of the least advanced torpedoes around but where cheap and easy to build and could also be made powerful if made big enough.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Deepcrush wrote:The Borg used regen hulls, not sheilds.
The Drones were protected by Regenerative Shields.

From Memory Alpha:
Memory Alpha wrote:The basic principle of regenerative shielding was to quickly analyze an attacking weapon's frequency and then modulate shield freqency to increase damage mitigation without depleting shield energy.

Regenerative shields were used on Borg vessels and Borg drones. When in combat, Borg drones could be killed by phasers but only for the first several shots. The phaser became ineffective if used at the same setting after multiple shots. The phaser's effectiveness could be extended though by adding a frequency modulation chip. (TNG: "Q Who", "The Best of Both Worlds", "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II")
Their ships also possessed this ability so they would likely have the shields to, or are you suggesting that they changed the molecular makeup of their hull to withstand those frequencies which they adapted to?
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I aways assumed Plasma torpedoes were one of the least advanced torpedoes around but where cheap and easy to build and could also be made powerful if made big enough.
Agreed. TOS: "Balance of Terror" seems to make that point. Relatively low-tech, great destructive potential, but hampered when forced to maneuver or go to range.
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mikey wrote:
Teaos wrote:I aways assumed Plasma torpedoes were one of the least advanced torpedoes around but where cheap and easy to build and could also be made powerful if made big enough.
Agreed. TOS: "Balance of Terror" seems to make that point. Relatively low-tech, great destructive potential, but hampered when forced to maneuver or go to range.
Seems reasonable though how destructive the individual torpedoes used by the ODP is questionable IMO, the stations, according to DITL, is 46 m tall and 40 m in diameter yet holds 1,000 torpedoes, and 3 High Power Disruptors. How much Plasma could be packed into Torpedoes that woul;d fit inside of here. These things also have to include their own Comuter & targettuing system and some type of yet unknown equipment which recieves the power from the source with no hard connection... I still think the ODP was a great stretch for the Cardies and was probably too advanced for them to make it work on more than one or two systems that we saw.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IDK - except for the apparent miniaturization, if you make their power generation self-contained than it seems to be a relatively straightforward device.
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

But they didn't. Then you have to manufacture power plants for each of those individual platforms which might wreck any economic value they might have for a resource stretched Cardassia. You also then have to either remove something or make them bigger to hold that power supply, either way you are going to loose something or have to rework the design.

I agree they could be effective if done right but the Cardassians went for it all and they ended up with less than they started with IMO. They can be reworked to be a success but in the post DW era is that likely to happen in a reasonable amount of time?
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed on all counts. That wasn't my point, though; I was merely saying that the design isn't quite that outlandish for the Cardies to field.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

KuvahMagh wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:The Borg used regen hulls, not sheilds.
The Drones were protected by Regenerative Shields.

From Memory Alpha:
Memory Alpha wrote:The basic principle of regenerative shielding was to quickly analyze an attacking weapon's frequency and then modulate shield freqency to increase damage mitigation without depleting shield energy.

Regenerative shields were used on Borg vessels and Borg drones. When in combat, Borg drones could be killed by phasers but only for the first several shots. The phaser became ineffective if used at the same setting after multiple shots. The phaser's effectiveness could be extended though by adding a frequency modulation chip. (TNG: "Q Who", "The Best of Both Worlds", "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II")
Their ships also possessed this ability so they would likely have the shields to, or are you suggesting that they changed the molecular makeup of their hull to withstand those frequencies which they adapted to?
I never suggested anything of the sort or even close, but that is a cute little leap you made. Too say as Memory Alpha does that Regen Shields do everything but regen is pretty silly. Adaptive shields built to adapt (match the frequency modulation) too the weapons being used against them. A shield system built around regen would mean that scattered weapons fire could be shrugged off. However, with focused fire could be overcome. Adaptive weapons would most likely work in a polar manner too shields. Allowing you to block your enemy's fire while allowing you too bypass your enemy's shields. It seems a step up from Dominion tech.