Breen

Deep Space Nine
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm sorry but what is so fascinating about the Breen other than the fact that we know nothing about them? I don't know what makes them so cool. For some reason, though, when I think Breen civilization I imagine House Orodos from the Dune games.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I picture the Breen like North Korea. Dangerous but can be kept in check.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm sorry but what is so fascinating about the Breen other than the fact that we know nothing about them?
What else do you need?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:
I'm sorry but what is so fascinating about the Breen other than the fact that we know nothing about them?
What else do you need?
Congrats on the promotion.

Well we know next to nothing of the Zakdorn, the Tellarites, etc. Doesn't necessarily make them too fascinating. Unless you like the mystery of the helmets. I guess I just never saw the big deal.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Part of the mystique of the breen, is that through multiple series we have been baited and goaded with tantalising breadcrumbs (why don't the romulans trust the breen what incident provoked this,why do the breen wear helmets,cloaks and bioships?!,is breen frozen?), crumb by crumb, plus they are undisputedly a major power,and yet unfamiliar to many of the other empires.
Yeah for me, the amibiguity with the helmets takes a front seat, it tempts the imagination and intrigue, i was going to say like finding a woman more alluring and tempting before intimacy, but using that in the same passage as breen sounds wrong on many levels, except perhaps my warped subconscious....lol
'In universe',the zakdorn and tellarites would clearly be more familiar so to some, might losse their glamour and mystique, but yeah a) i liked enterprise,simply for the fact, that we learnt a little more about some of the underused races, such as the andorians and tellarites b) thank giggity, i thought about house ordos a while back, but until you suggested it,thought i must have been alone...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Agreed Teaos.
Well done mikey
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

For me it's the fact that they are bullsey and hit above their weight class.

They launched an attack on earth when no one else had done so in over a century and damaged Star fleet HQ.

They are innovate with weapons designs.

They are not afraid to grab an opertunity when it comes by. All great qualities.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thank you, all.

I agree with Granitehewer - it's not really JUST the fact that we don't know much about the Breen; it's also the fact that we have been given hints and tidbits of a... well, of a backstory, really. Beisdes, as Teaos mentioned, they are one of the "minor" races which never really fell into line. They didn't join the Federation, or sign a treaty - rather they sided with our enemies. Since the motivation to do that is much less easily understood than the motivation to join us (because that's just the way people think,) they interest us in that light, as wel..
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Imagine baby and toddler breen in those helmets, and the businessman father bursting through the door,electronically shrieking the breen equivalent to ''honey, i'm home''.......thats an image to savour!
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The attraction of the Breen is that we don't have anything solid on their culture or personalities. With many minor on-screen races we know something about them. And with their participation in the Dominion war they became a major race but we still know next to nothing solid about them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The mystery about them has always been that all we've heard implies that they should be a major power. Their disruptors are similar to those of the Klingons and Romulans, and they use cloaks. Given how rare cloak tech seems to be (even the Dominion doesn't have it, despite thir technological superiority), this indicates that the Breen are a technologically sophisticated society. Despite all this we only saw them onc before the last season of DS9, and it begged the question of why. Even when they showed up a lot of questions remained - why they constantly wore those suits despite apparently comming from a temperate world, the location and extent of their territory, and their energy-dampening technology. These, along we the lack of reference to their status followigng the war would mke them an excellent enemy for any series set in the future of the TNG era.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

damn right,seafort
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You are absolutley correct, Captain S. It's those hints and innuendoes which make them interesting to us - we feel we SHOULD have seen them as major players before now.

The only thing I can think of that explains their relative absence from the scene is an inherent xenophobia which results in a sort of racial introvertedness, beside the usual fear and hatred.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

lol mikey, 'breen inneundos'.....misinterpreted that at first, imagined one cupping kiras' rear and electronically making a double entendre :shock:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The fact that the Romulans don't trust them says a lot for their character.