Sulu vs Chekov

The Original Series
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sulu vs Chekov

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Meh, it would hav been to much of the same stuff as TOS, its a new ship but same time period.
After Voyager ended, enough real time would've passed that they could've easily set the show in the 2310's. I still think it would've been better than Enterprise.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I think it would have been cool watching how we got from TOS to TNG personally. They could have introduced all sorts of new things that would have made cool storylines. Like the first replicator, that made food taste like something completely different and never quite worked right, the first phaser array and explored that a bit more, so on and so forth.

But that's just me.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Mark wrote:I think it would have been cool watching how we got from TOS to TNG personally. They could have introduced all sorts of new things that would have made cool storylines. Like the first replicator, that made food taste like something completely different and never quite worked right, the first phaser array and explored that a bit more, so on and so forth.

But that's just me.
I think it would have been much nicer than Enterprise, which just caused all sorts of headaches. And I loved the Ambassador class (it was far sharper than the Excelsior, IMO), although a new class might have been nice to see.

My only objection would be the uniforms. Removing the turtleneck and belt made the interim uniforms look terrible.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I just wish they would have stuck with the uniforms out of STVI. A show about Excelsior would have been good. We could have also seen the time period of change where the old SF leaders from times of war with everyone and their mothers were retiring and being replaced by the pieces of shite we have running the UFP now. Plus the conflicts of change between the two generations.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wait are we talking about an Excelsior based show made between TOS and TNG or one made after VOY.

If the first option I think it would be to much of the same, if the latter you again have the problem of a series set in a time period that has already past. In my opinion the only option trek has ever had is it go into the future.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And, the farther into the future you go, the more magical the tech becomes. We thought the technobabble on VOY was bad? :?

" Captain, the Borg vessel is emitting a chronoton field. It's blocking sensors!"

" Reroute power to temporal flux stabilizers, and activate quantum scanners!"

:bangwall:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's perfectly possible to depict advanced technology without technobabble. For instance your lines there :

" Captain, the Borg vessel is emitting a chronoton field. It's blocking sensors!"
" Reroute power to temporal flux stabilizers, and activate quantum scanners!"

Okay, why not just say :

"They're blocking our sensors!"
"See if you can cut through it."

Simple as that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

While there are times that technobable enhances the story, there are also times (like most of Voyager) where it should be avoided in the simple manner that Graham purposed.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

For some reason, writers tend to feel that technobabble makes things more "real". When in reality it does just the oppisite if not done correctly.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Like how RDA always cut through the crap on stargate.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I mean, how many of us really understand what the hell "an inverse tetreon pulse" is? "Gravometric distortion" we have an idea. "Reverse the polarity" we've been hearing forever. One must use care in selecting proper technobabble. 8)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You've hit the nail on the head. The problem with technobabble in the way it's been presented thus far is that it weighs too heavily toward the "babble" and too far from the "techno."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

How about this for a game.

Post a chunk of technobabble from one of the Trek scripts :

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/nextgeneration/
http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/ds9/
http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/episode_listing.htm
http://www.geocities.com/chakoteya/episodes.htm

And you, or somebody else, rewrites it as I did above. The rules are that you must reduce the amount of babble, make it more understandable, but not change the effect on the story of what is being said in any way.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:I think it would have been cool watching how we got from TOS to TNG personally. They could have introduced all sorts of new things that would have made cool storylines. Like the first replicator, that made food taste like something completely different and never quite worked right, the first phaser array and explored that a bit more, so on and so forth.

But that's just me.
In addition to the tech, there's the political shift between the two series. Klingons became allies, Romulans dug a hole in the ground and hid for a while, and new races were discovered. The process was started with the events of STVI, but it would have been interesting to see it all played out. I wonder how first contact with a race like the Cardies would have gone?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I wonder how first contact with a race like the Cardies would have gone?
Explosively I expect - given the Cardie mentality, I wouldn't be surprised if first contact turned into a firefight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.