Place of the Week: Coruscant

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Place of the Week: Coruscant

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Monroe wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I think Coruscant's always been covered. Well, what I mean is, except maybe for the Zhells and Taungs, it's always been a city-covered mess.
According to EU since 95,000 BBY.
Wow, I was right. And that was off the top of my head, too. Go, me! ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Oh I agree. But Star Wars people behave very much like modern day people. It would make sense for Mexico to have 10 cities of around equal size than Mexico City with a huge bulk of the country's population. You need the infrastructure for a Empire / Republic expanding millilons of worlds. So you would need millions of senators right then. If there are 40k lobyiests in America you could expect maybe a billion in Star Wars. Then you would need foods and services for that huge population. Then you would need manufacturing to be done for those people. Then you would need people moving to Coruscant to find work. Its also has perhaps the largest university in the galaxy. So you'd need everything that comes with a college town. Then because its so important you'd need a vast military. Vast shipping companies. And so on.
Which is exactly how the EU depicts Coruscant - its sole real role is as capital of the galaxy. It imports everything it needs and exports governance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Oh I agree. But Star Wars people behave very much like modern day people. It would make sense for Mexico to have 10 cities of around equal size than Mexico City with a huge bulk of the country's population. You need the infrastructure for a Empire / Republic expanding millilons of worlds. So you would need millions of senators right then. If there are 40k lobyiests in America you could expect maybe a billion in Star Wars. Then you would need foods and services for that huge population. Then you would need manufacturing to be done for those people. Then you would need people moving to Coruscant to find work. Its also has perhaps the largest university in the galaxy. So you'd need everything that comes with a college town. Then because its so important you'd need a vast military. Vast shipping companies. And so on.
Which is exactly how the EU depicts Coruscant - its sole real role is as capital of the galaxy. It imports everything it needs and exports governance.
I think because of that, it makes sense as the Imperial a/o Republic capital, but the idea of city-worlds in other venues doesn't make as much sense. Other places wouldn't be as well-defended as Coruscant, and would be really asking for a relatively simple knock-out blow.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
I think because of that, it makes sense as the Imperial a/o Republic capital, but the idea of city-worlds in other venues doesn't make as much sense. Other places wouldn't be as well-defended as Coruscant, and would be really asking for a relatively simple knock-out blow.
Yeah although one of those city worlds became the defacto Galactic Alliance capital when the war ended. Guess Mon Calamari wouldn't cut it. I forget what the world was called.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Denon?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Denon?
Yea I think that's what its called.
I suppose high tech jobs and banking worlds could sprawn planet wide cities too. Probably not as densely populated as Coruscant.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-