Seen it! SPOILERS IN HERE!!!!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Seen it! SPOILERS IN HERE!!!!

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I know what you mean Reliant....I know Romulans based on TNG, those did not seem like Romulans
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I know what you mean Reliant....I know Romulans based on TNG, those did not seem like Romulans
As per my example, if you came to Houston, and hung out with my friends and I, you wouldn't recognize that we were Texans, based on the stereotype. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

no, but last time I checked, Texans weren't their own species :wink:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

So they were different from other Romulans. Isn't one of the prevailing gripes the planet of hats syndrome? Well, you've got a new style of hat for the Romulans now. They're not aristrocrats, senators or soldiers-they're laborers, and thus would be different from the rest we've seen. It's like that Klingon chef we saw in DSN.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

it's not so much culturaly different that strikes me, but philisophocly and biologicly...and even philisophicly I can understand.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

BHiologically, yeah. Although philosophically... come on. They're deep space miners. I think their outlook on life might be slightly different than Sela or Tomalok's. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lt. Staplic wrote:no, but last time I checked, Texans weren't their own species :wink:
No, and neither are Koreans, but the two have some major physical differences despite being the same species. The forehead ridge "issue" really doesn't bother me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:BHiologically, yeah. Although philosophically... come on. They're deep space miners. I think their outlook on life might be slightly different than Sela or Tomalok's. ;)
Well what I mean is the basics of their species philosophy, for humans for the Federation for example I'd say there a "look out for the betterment of you neighbor." type thing...The Romulans always struck me as much more intellegent and cunning that these people, and more likely to push until you stop them rather than go for an all out attack, but having your planet blown up on you will change that stuff....

and ya the forhead thing does bother me, but it's more than that....idk what it is but Nero just seems like some human the put pointed ears on (which I know he is), it just seems like there missing the whole bio-look of the romulans in these people.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

About the Narda being so huge. Its a mining ship.

On Earth, we have tankers that are far larger than any of our warships.

Even though its a mining vessel I think this could still apply.

About its aesthetics, well we've only seen Romulan warships really, so who knows what their other vessels look like?

Not a problem for me at least.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Well what I mean is the basics of their species philosophy, for humans for the Federation for example I'd say there a "look out for the betterment of you neighbor." type thing...
The Maquis weren't exactly cookie-cutter Federation citizens...

I don't get why you guys aren't buying my analogy: if all you'd ever seen of Earth was rural China, would you think big-city Americans don't seem like humans? We wear different clothes, have different beliefs, speak a different language, and look rather different physically.

I think showing a different group of Romulans, with different motivations, different backgrounds and different appearance makes the race as a whole more interesting.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I dont know. I probably seem like some whiney little fanboy or something. If I'm honest, I really couldn't care. A film to me should make me happy, and enjoy it no matter what is contained within. I enjoyed it for the most part, but their portrayel of Romulan's didnt help it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Their homeworld had been obliterated, they'd been thrown a century and a half into the past of a different universe, and then stuck there for twenty-five years. Plus of course, as others have pointed out, they didn't come from the polished military/political class which is all we've been exposed to before. I'd have been more surprised if they'd been portrayed the same way as previously.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
No, and neither are Koreans, but the two have some major physical differences despite being the same species. The forehead ridge "issue" really doesn't bother me.
And Koreans and Texans are from the same planet. If anything, there should be noticable differences between members of the same species from different worlds.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I suppose.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Rochey wrote:And Koreans and Texans are from the same planet. If anything, there should be noticable differences between members of the same species from different worlds.
But the Romulans have only been separate for a couple thousand years - I think differences in human skin color and eye shape took longer than that to develop, and this would be a major skeletal difference in comparison. It might just be that the ridges have been retconned away as a B&B silliness.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."