The Xindi Paradox

Enterprise
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Xindi Paradox

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
I think it would depend on the type of war being fought. If a draft were instituted to support Iraq, sure, but if the war in question was more WW2 than Vietnam in character (i.e. against a great power opponent, and started by a clear act of aggression), then I don't think it would be as much of a political problem.

I would honestly expect a mass nation wide riot of minorities as they realise they are about to get pooched. Along with the Pentagon screaming NO! as it brings down skill levels and dilutes their institutional knowledge further.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I was just asking under what circumstances it would be put into place. I think we can all agree that you're already facing manpower shortages.

Is it at all possible to avoid being drafted into the military? For example, could you get out by claiming you're a pacifist or a concientous objector?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Is it at all possible to avoid being drafted into the military? For example, could you get out by claiming you're a pacifist or a concientous objector?
Depending on the country you can get a religous or CO exemption, various mental handicaps are exempt as well. Aspergers and diabetes being obvious ones.

Edit: If it's the USA you could probably just say your gay and they won't take you.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay then. I was wondering about the US in particular, though. Do they have similar ways out?
Also, if so, wouldn't it be rather easy to get out of being drafted just by claiming for CO status?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Okay then. I was wondering about the US in particular, though. Do they have similar ways out?
I'm not sure. See below.
Also, if so, wouldn't it be rather easy to get out of being drafted just by claiming for CO status?
The way it's currently structured (the means to have a draft really aren't there anymore) you have to be serving before you can claim it. It can take a year to process (and if you answer yes to "would you fight to defend yourself" it's back to the trench line) and they leave you in your unit until it's done.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, so you'd still end up on the Eastern Front regardless?
the means to have a draft really aren't there anymore
Would that be due to public opposition, or political problems with it?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Ah, so you'd still end up on the Eastern Front regardless?
Yup.
Both plus the fact that the Army has abandoned it as effective policy. Conscript armies are typically less capable than a professional military thanks to the high turnover and requirement to spread training dollars around even further (each soldier gets less training and is therefore less capable). Institutional knowledge (knowledge and skills retained by senior NCO's and officers) becomes diluted as the troops possessing it are spread around even further.

Then there's the simple fact that the kit for these troops is not there, the US had to break older models of M16's out of war stores and steal them from Militia units to fill out the units in Iraq. And the large training depots have been shut down, though I suspect the buildings are still around containing six inches of dust and thousands of pigeon corpses.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...if you're talking about purely military requirements you need a draft now.
I agree completely, Seafort.

Wow. What is that, five times now? :wink:

Rochey wrote:
the means to have a draft really aren't there anymore
IIRC, we got rid of the legal framework for it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay then, thanks for the info guys. :)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Okay then, thanks for the info guys. :)
(What Rochey really means): Okay, that's enough. Please shut up about it.

:wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I dont agree with conscription of any kind. Purely because i could never go to war, nor would i be able to do it.

I'd far happier be courtmartialled, executed whatever for not going.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey - CO objections were investigated very closely, so you had better not be bulsh*tting about it. Quakers often got off.

Kendall:
Cpl Kendall wrote:various mental handicaps are exempt as well. Aspergers and diabetes being obvious ones.
Diabetes is NOT a mental handicap, but thanks. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Diabetes is NOT a mental handicap, but thanks. :wink:
One little mistake...

But hey! No dieing in a pointless foreign war for you!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'll take it!

Of course, I'll never be an astronaut, truck driver, or SCUBA diver either...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hell.....flat feet will keep you out of the military.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.