I Am Legend

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's pretty much it.

Also, I can imagine the ex-infected would likely have some serious mental trauma from the whole thing. Or their minds might be completely gone alltogether, we never did see how the one 'cured' person turned out. It might end up with people 'curing' the infected, and turning them braindead, which would create even more problems for them.
Hell, we don't even know what the cure does to save them. What if it kills them afterwards? What if it turns them braindead, like I mentioned already? What if it sticks them in a coma? What if it turns them into something even worse?

And given that humanity is completely cut off from itself, that would also mean that that one little colony, containing probably only a hundred or so people, would have to do everything themselves. That simply ain't gonna happen. Even if the cure somehow works with no side effects, how are they going to distribute it around the world? How are they going to inject it to every last one of the infected?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hell, even if you had a magic wand that would cure every infected in the world with one wave... virtually every last one of them would starve to death within the week.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. The whole world is completely fracked.

One thing that just occured to me:
Why did the buildings in New York still have power? Surely it would run out when people stopped working at the reactors?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, alot of our systems are automated. And there is no way to know it the Plants would still be online or not. There could be people hold up there.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, maybe so.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I didn't think they did have power.

I mean, Will's place did, but only because he had his own generators.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, alright then.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Spoiler request please:

How does the movie end?

As for power, maybe is was like Steven King's 'The Stand'. The generators were still working but overloaded. Once the survivors starting going into homes and buildings and turning stuff off, they got the generators back on and on a lessened power load, they maintained on an automated format/program?
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, big spoilers....

Just as the infected are about to kill Will, he is saved. When he wakes up he finds that a woman and her kid have shown up after hearing his radio signal. The woman insists that they have to head for a colony of survivors. When Will demands to know how she knows of this colony... she tells him that God told her about it.

The infected follow them home, scenting the trail the woman left the night before. They break in and trash the place pretty good. Will and the woman retreat to the basement. They find that one of the infected which Will has been experimenting on has been cured - a combination of low temperature and a compound Will devised. He draws some of her blood, which can be used to make a cure.

As the infected begin to break in, Will sees a butterfly shape in the glass and decides that the woman was right about this all being part of some plan by God because of some earlier mention of butterflies. He locks the woman and kid in a hideyhole and pulls out a grenade, blowing himself up along with the infected who are breaking in.

Some time later the woman and kid arrive in the mountains and do indeed find a colony of survivors, just as her god-vision told her. In a voice over she tells up that Will made possible the salvation of humanity, and so now his name will be legend. The end.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

GrahamKennedy wrote:As the infected begin to break in, Will sees a butterfly shape in the glass and decides that the woman was right about this all being part of some plan by God because of some earlier mention of butterflies. He locks the woman and kid in a hideyhole and pulls out a grenade, blowing himself up along with the infected who are breaking in.
*chuckles* Your bias against the ending is showing. 'Previous mention of butterflies' here means 'every other line from his daughter is "Look daddy, a butterfly!" *shadowpuppet butterfly hands*'. And there was a butterfly when he was picking corn, which was a nice touch. There may have been others I missed.

Also, he didn't see a butterfly in the glass. He saw a butterfly tattooed on the back of the woman's neck when she was shielding her son down as the infected try to break through the last barrier. Another detail some may have missed: when he sets off the giant exploding booby trap outside, afterwards, you can see that there is blood trickling from his ears; his eardrums burst and he is close to deaf for the last sequences. So those parts where everything is muffled are what he is hearing, and his line about listening right at the end is put in a more interesting context.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actualy, there was a butterfly on the glass. When the infected was slamming into the glass, the cracks formed the shape of a butterfly. Then he turned around and saw the butterfly tatooed on the woman's neck, and figured it was a sign from God.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Rochey wrote:Actualy, there was a butterfly on the glass. When the infected was slamming into the glass, the cracks formed the shape of a butterfly. Then he turned around and saw the butterfly tatooed on the woman's neck, and figured it was a sign from God.
Hm. I didn't see the butterfly made of cracks, personally. The one on the woman's neck is the important one, anyway.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I assure you, it's there. :)
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Thanks for the spoiler info...

That does kinda suck as an ending, given the other options found here on the Forum. I like the #3 option where Will would imagine the whole thing.
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Rochey wrote:I assure you, it's there. :)
Well, I'll take your word for it. I did say I might have missed some. :P I think the main thing I wanted to get across is that the butterfly business doesn't come out of nowhere.