AvP-R

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So would I.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That was awsome! :shock:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, that was impressive. Thanks, Jim.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hurry up and release the film! :D
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I honestly believe it is going to be entertaining.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It has Aliens! It has Predators! It has people dying in horrible manners that would in real life make us cry and beg for our deaths to avoid having to see it! Of course its going to be entertaining! But will it be good?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd say it'll be very entertaining. But I'd also say it's going to be very, very, stupid in terms of plot. I don't know why, but I just have that feeling.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I dunno, the basic setup seems simple enough.

Spoiler warnings I suppose... I don't know much, but what I know lies ahead so stop now if surprise is your thing!

What basically happens is that the ship from the first AVP movie crashlands near this town. Most of the Predators are killed in the crash, and some aliens escape and go to town. The remaining Predator/s tries to stop them. Oh, and the Predator/Alien hybrid born at the end of the last movie is here.

I can't really see anything stupid or plot holey in that. Frankly it would be hard to mess it up, though messing simple things up is something Hollywood excels at I guess.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They certainly seem to have gone for more shock value and increased gore over suspense (which the first films of both these franchises had plenty of), but the cinematography certainly looks well handled, and provides a certain 'ambiance'.

The first Predator film had some rather horrifyingly bloody moments, and a good number of suspenseful scenes, so I'm hoping this movie will lean in that direction (where the first AVP leaned less towards gore, and more toward action/suspense).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think toning down the gore in the first AVP was entirely a matter of getting a lower certificate. Sad to say that acton movies now have to appeal to the 15/16 year olds because that's where a big section of the money is. Seriously, when was the last time you saw an action movie that didn't pull its punches throughout?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Saving Private Ryan.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

True, though it was a war movie rather than an action movie.

Take a look at Die Hard 1 compared to Die Hard 4 though. There's a big difference in gore factor. Hell, in 4 they even cut off his "motherf****r" catchphrase.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's just a sad fact of the "PC" epidemic and the watering-down of media to the prissiest common denominator - as well as the feeling of people to want to have the media do their parenting work for them.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Graham wrote:Frankly it would be hard to mess it up, though messing simple things up is something Hollywood excels at I guess.
Yeah, well I thought it would be hard to mess up an episode about breaking the Warp 10 barrier.
I think we all know how that turned out....