The Doctor is in the house(?)

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Doctor is in the house(?)

Post by Atekimogus »

Reliant121 wrote:Additionally, they are virtually unstoppable by just about anything.
........confidently moving at the speed of a really really old man in a wheelchair by the look of it...... :wink:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the number of people here who are unfamiliar with DW.

Yes, they don't move fast... but they can fly, and they don't need to move quickly. If you run away from them, you are just going to die later; if you get to a more tactically advantageous area, it doesn't matter because you can't hurt them.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:Additionally, they are virtually unstoppable by just about anything. Barring high intensity beam weapons, like the ANNEdroid.
Individual Dalek resilience has historically been somewhat variable. Time War variants require serious firepower to take down (like Jack's one-shot special), while earlier models have been taken down by RPGs, or simply being pushed out of a first-floor loading bay. What made the things scary was their utterly inhuman appearance, their somewhat intolerant attitude towards non-Daleks and the fact that no matter how many you killed, more of them would keep coming.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Unfortunately, I have only really seen modern era stuff. I occasionally catch an old rerun, but I don't really want to shell out for any box sets if they even exist.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:I am absolutely dumbfounded by the number of people here who are unfamiliar with DW.
I'll admit, I'd never even heard of it (at least not to a degree that it stuck in my mind passed the moment) before coming here.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:
Mikey wrote:I am absolutely dumbfounded by the number of people here who are unfamiliar with DW.
I'll admit, I'd never even heard of it (at least not to a degree that it stuck in my mind passed the moment) before coming here.
You can catch up on some of the relaunch stuff - the last three Doctors - on BBC America, and I highly recommend looking into some of the older stuff unless you have a complete intolerance for crappy FX no matter how good the story. As a fellow American, I recommend the Fourth Doctor - he seems to speak most to the american mindset.
Captain Seafort wrote:somewhat intolerant attitude towards non-Daleks
Congratulations on winning the Understatement of the Year award, BTW.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:You can catch up on some of the relaunch stuff - the last three Doctors - on BBC America, and I highly recommend looking into some of the older stuff unless you have a complete intolerance for crappy FX no matter how good the story. As a fellow American, I recommend the Fourth Doctor - he seems to speak most to the american mindset.
If Netflix has it, I might give it a look. I don't really watch much tv anymore though, and from what I've gathered, there is a LOT of DW.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A lot, yes. 1963-1989, then 2005-present. Guiness (the book, not the stout) lists it as both the longest-running and most successful sci-fi show of all time.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

To a Dalek, anything non-Dalek must be destroyed at ALL costs. There is no room for others, no compromise. They are inexorable, cannot be negotiated with. Their mindset is the worst of Nazism and other like philosophies taken to the extreme.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The thing about the Daleks was that they were so inhuman. You have to realise these things came on screen in the 1960s. At the time, bad guys were either monsters in rubber suits - mindless animals who attacked just because - or they were just people, like the Klingons or whatever.

The along come these metal things. They look utterly inhuman on the outside, they ARE utterly inhuman on the inside. And they aren't robots, they aren't disciples of perfect logic or anything like that. They have personality, they have emotion... but the only emotion they have is hate. Daleks will kill you because you have something they want, or because you're in their way... but even if you're completely helpless and unthreatening, they will STILL kill you, because Daleks HATE you. Yes, you, personally, they despise what you are and despise the fact of your existence, simply because you aren't a Dalek.

It spins out of WWII, of course; how the Nazis saw the Jews, that's how Daleks see every single living thing that isn't a Dalek. Run away, hide - they'll get to you eventually, simply because they plan to get to everybody eventually. You can't even join them, become an ally - they might accept you, but if so it will be for only as long as you are useful. The second you aren't, you're dead, dead, dead.

There weren't a whole lot of baddies like that around in the 1960s.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

With Daleks, for me it's when I was born and grew up, sadly. Graham is 100% correct on how EVIL they are, how inhuman and such. The ultimate extension of Nazi philosoph ynad other such mindsets...

But me, being me, can't get past their looks... or that in 'Destiny of the Daleks', their weaknesses make them so pathetic.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

They go tinman when it rains?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Lighthawk wrote:They go tinman when it rains?
More that they were treated as robots, incapable of acting outside their "programming", and therefore locked in a perpetual stalemate with their opponents.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:They go tinman when it rains?
More that they were treated as robots, incapable of acting outside their "programming", and therefore locked in a perpetual stalemate with their opponents.
Was that the arc in which Baker tricked Davros back into stasis? Forgive me, but it's been over 20 years since I've seen Fourth Doctor eps. Yeah, that was more a poor treatment of the Daleks. They were not, after all, robots.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Was that the arc in which Baker tricked Davros back into stasis?
Probably - it was the non-Genesis Fourth Doctor Dalek serial.