Possible fleet size of SW civilization

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: The thing is just... eyah. I think I'll stick with 160 kilometers too.
Why? Saxton's scaling work pegs it as 900km, even the model-makers themselves described it as being about 500 miles in diametre. The first DS was 160km across, but all the evidence points to the DS II being of the larger size.
Because SW canon scaling and whatnot gives me a headache and the current product sucks like a black hole.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Well so does Trek's, unless you want a debate on the size of the Defiant or how many BoP variants there are. I think the some of the latest publications corrected the size to 900km, and the builders, as I said, pegged it as 500 miles back in 1984, so it's official as well as canon now.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That's no space station, it's a... oh wait, right...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Well so does Trek's, unless you want a debate on the size of the Defiant or how many BoP variants there are. I think the some of the latest publications corrected the size to 900km, and the builders, as I said, pegged it as 500 miles back in 1984, so it's official as well as canon now.
Yeah, but compared to DS size calcs, it's not as huge. Heck, trying to figure out the Executor's size can result in a full-fledged flame war.

And unlike SW, ST's current product... does not suck. And remember, I love Enterprise. I'll acknowledge season two wasn't too good, but I loved the rest.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Trek arguments are over which VFX shot is right, since they all keep changing. The DS II arguments are over VFX vs written stuff, which shouldn't even be happening since the films override everything else. The Executor debate has been put to rest at long last, since the Databank's been updated and all sources are consistent at 19km. Again, it was an argument of visuals vs written stuff, which should never have happened, and it seems to be happening again over the length of Home One.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll point out that in the case of both the DS2 and the Executor, the "contradictions" were between EU stuff and film stuff. In such a situation, the films always win. The flame wars were over people refusing to admit they were wrong, and generaly being morons.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Just my personal canon. In SW, it's a lot murkier. And I like the books more than the movies. They got me interested in the franchise.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:?
Not really, there's a clear canon set out for SW, there's really no problems with it once you remember that the films are the highest canon.
And I like the books more than the movies. They got me interested in the franchise.
Fine, but remember that in a debate the films will always be taken as being higher than the books.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote::?
Not really, there's a clear canon set out for SW, there's really no problems with it once you remember that the films are the highest canon.
And I like the books more than the movies. They got me interested in the franchise.
Fine, but remember that in a debate the films will always be taken as being higher than the books.
Oh, I remember all that. It's just... I don't really care about SW as much as ST. And for the most part, I don't debate stuff like that. I'm more interested in the people than the hardware.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Allright.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Allright.
Thank you. :)

Do you read SW novels at all?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've read quite a few. Though I've stopped reading since the start of the NJO. I hate that series with a passion, and I've heard they just got worse. :(
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:I've read quite a few. Though I've stopped reading since the start of the NJO. I hate that series with a passion, and I've heard they just got worse. :(
You have no idea... *Shakes head* They had gold-pressed latinum with the end of the YJK and they traded it for a lump of lead.