Andorians

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I would have expected them to show up in the Dominion war...
Yeah, seriously. I have to agree with budget restraints/shying away from TOS/lack of technology to create believable antennae. It has to be something like that, right? I personally think the Andorians rock (well, Shran anyways, but then Jeffery Combs is awesome in almost anything he does); I would've loved to see them on DS9, especially during the war.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:I would have expected them to show up in the Dominion war...
Yea, it's almost silly to have a founding member of the Federation as ostensibly warlike as the Andorians were supposed to be and then have them be absent from what is likely the largest war that the Federation has conducted.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But maybe the fact they are warlike kept them out of starfleet. It might be to soft for them. They may have their own nation guard typw thing.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:But maybe the fact they are warlike kept them out of starfleet. It might be to soft for them. They may have their own nation guard typw thing.
I see your logic, but then where was the Andorian aremd force(s) during the Dominion War? Andoria is still part of the Federation, if not Starfleet proper.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We only saw a small part of the over all fighting. They could have been given an area of the boarder to patrol away from DS9.

If it wasnt for the passing references you could of though they had left the Federation. Would have added a nice story arc. The Andorians arent happy with the way things are run and decide to leave.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:
Teaos wrote:But maybe the fact they are warlike kept them out of starfleet. It might be to soft for them. They may have their own nation guard typw thing.
I see your logic, but then where was the Andorian aremd force(s) during the Dominion War? Andoria is still part of the Federation, if not Starfleet proper.
Andorian-manned Starfleet ships, just as the Intrepid was a Vulcan-manned ship during TOS. Or perhaps Starfleet vessels transfered to the Andorian fleet and integrated into the Starfleet command structure.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

it would have been nice to assume, that chunks of the federation fleets were manned by non-humans, even the odd viewscreen image of an Andorian or Bolian Captain for a few seconds would have been nice, oh well, ho-hum
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:We only saw a small part of the over all fighting. They could have been given an area of the boarder to patrol away from DS9.
As good an explanation as any.
If it wasnt for the passing references you could of though they had left the Federation. Would have added a nice story arc. The Andorians arent happy with the way things are run and decide to leave.
What a story arc indeed - could you imagine the "Federation Civil War?" It would have to scoop up quite a few more cultures, though - I don't believe the Andorians are numerous on their own. The shcok and awe of the Federation council, that anyone wants to leave "Eden..."
Granitehewer wrote:it would have been nice to assume, that chunks of the federation fleets were manned by non-humans, even the odd viewscreen image of an Andorian or Bolian Captain for a few seconds would have been nice, oh well, ho-hum

In the first part of the TNG two-parter with the brain parasites (I'm sorry, I forget the ep title) we saw Captain Rixx, a seemingly well-established and well-respected Bolian Starfleet captain.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It doesnt need to be a civil war. Just them wanting to leave and the Federation trying to convince them otherwise. Just make it political. The federation would never fight to stop it and it would be suicidal for the Andorians to try and fight the Federation.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Right - the Andorians alone just don't have the numbers or industrial base vs. the whole of the rest of the Federation. But I'm still getting a laugh thinking of the Council President saying, "Leave us? But we're the almighty Federation! How do you choose to leave perfection?"
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

RE: The Dominion war.

Perhaps the Andorians were involved in the ground fighting more than space? They seemed to have a better grasp of tactics than humans, so that's where I'd put them under similar circumstances.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Damn, 'conspiracy' my bad,
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:RE: The Dominion war.

Perhaps the Andorians were involved in the ground fighting more than space? They seemed to have a better grasp of tactics than humans, so that's where I'd put them under similar circumstances.
That might make some sense - perhaps TOO much for Starfleet - but the only time we saw strategically-planned ground action, it was conducted on the Fed side exclusively by humans.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True...
Well, that's what I get for giving Starfleet the benefit of the doubt. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

That might make some sense - perhaps TOO much for Starfleet - but the only time we saw strategically-planned ground action, it was conducted on the Fed side exclusively by humans.
Actually, in the episode where Jake visits the frontlines (I forget its name right now; but it's in the 5th season), there're quite a few aliens there as well.
I guess the Bolians are kind of the TNG 'replacement' for the Andorians; blue aliens who show up every once in a while. :P
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton