Mixed Feelings

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Mixed Feelings

Post by Aaron »

Lighthawk wrote:
Yeah but, look at the size of that thing! I can only imagine the power plant needed to run a vessel that size, surely they could afford to power a few disruptors. Hell, if it's going to be a part time warship, and use a kit in order to mount and launch torpedos, then why not a disruptor kit?
Kit doesn't refer to an adaptor kit, it's military slang for equipment. IE: the torpedo's used existing equipment to fire. As for the power generation and space, we know next to nothing about the ship itself. The entire thing could be chock full of mining gear for all we know and all they had free was the equipment to fire mining charges or probes.

Which it doesn't have to be. Can't these movie guys hire a few nerds to look over the science?
I think you'll find that they want movies to be entertaining to a broad audience, how many folks in the general populace even know what a supernova or a black hole are?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...how many folks in the general populace even know what a supernova or a black hole are?
42?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:...how many folks in the general populace even know what a supernova or a black hole are?
42?
So that's the Question?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would think quite a few know what a blackhole are, but less would know exactly what supernova is.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

People have probably heard the terms, but most would probably have no idea what they really mean.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

People know a blackhole is bad and suks shit up, they dont really know why though.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Must... restrain... science nerd.... impulses....
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lighthawk wrote:Phaser pistols: Loved the look, and the flip around barrel for stun and kill setting was pretty cool.
Whilst I liked the look, you have to wonder what happens to the user if a malfunction triggers the wrong crystal in those pistols.
1) It's use as a time machine: I just can't buy this. Yes, the intense gravity of a black hole does f**k with time, but as far as I understand it, it merely slows time down, not reverses it.
There are theories that you could use a rotating black hole to go back in time. Why that makes a difference I couldn't say, and it would almost certainly be very different from what we saw in the movie... but meh. There's a theoretical possibility there, I'm happy enough with that.
2) Why did they have to drill a hole to the core of Vulcan before creating the black hole to destroy the planet?
Whilst a black hole would destroy the planet just as easily from the surface, I took it to be that the red matter doesn't make a black hole unless it's in or close to the middle of whatever it's in. Every time we saw it used it was at the centre of the object it consumed - the supernova, Vulcan, Nero's ship.
3) The fact that nothing happened to earth even though a black hole opened up in the sol system. Tossing that kind of gravity into the middle of a solar system would be like a 300 lb man jumping on a trampoline full of kittens, it's going to send everything flying.
Actually you are dead wrong on this one. Black holes are like anything else; how much gravity they have depends on their mass. If the hole had massed fifty times what the sun does then yeah, it would throw the whole solar system into chaos. But if it massed a ton then it wouldn't have any more effect on the sun or planets than any one ton mass would.

If you made the Earth into a black hole, the event horizon would be about the size of a pea; but if you went out and stood where the surface used to be, the gravity of that black hole would still only be 1 gee. And if you went to the moon, it would be whatever it was before there, as well. In fact if you converted the Earth into a black hole right now then, gravitationally speaking, the rest of the solar system wouldn't really notice any difference. It certainly wouldn't send planets flying all over the place.

It does raise an odd question, though, because red matter seems to create quite large black holes without the need for large masses. A hole miles across - like the one we saw at the end - would need something getting towards a solar mass to create it, but that little red ball can't sensibly have been that heavy. Red matter seems to circumvent the need for mass in black hole creation, which is intriguing and very impressive.
The romulan weapons: This might just be me, but I found it very odd that a mining vessel would be armed with, and only with, torpedos. I know they're romulan, and I realize the ship might have been off on it's own in the course of it's duty and needed to defend itself, but why torpedos? Would a few banks of disruptors have not made more sense? A ship that size with a couple disruptors should be more than capable of defending itself from bandits or pirates. It should never be in a position to have to defend itself from enemy warships. And the torpedos it did carry were unlike anything else we've seen, huge with multivector warheads. Those are some very serious weapons that ship was toting around.
Ignoring the Borgification backstory, I find it acceptable to believe that what the ship was using were mostly either mining charges intended to break up asteroids, or that they stopped off at some place they could stock up on weapons and took whatever was on offer at the time, which happened to be a few torpedo launchers.
The drill: It seems like a very odd feature, in fact I'd even call it a design flaw, for a drill to knock out communitcations and transporter function. That would be a real pain in the ass, having to stop drilling, on a mining ship, anytime you needed to use the transporter or send a message.
Sometimes technology comes with a downside. For those who work on heavy machinery, it's a pain in the ass that it is so noisy that it can actually physically damage you. Why don't they just make quiet machines? Because they wouldn't work as well. It's a pain in the ass that airplanes throw out colossal amounts of CO2 and are so noisy that nobody can live near the places they take off and land, but we just live with it.

Personally my complain with the drill was... what is the point of the thing? You drill a hole into a planet from space. Okay. Then.... what? What do you do with that hole when you aren't out using red matter to suck the planet up?
Starfleet's promotional ladder: Let me see if I have this one right...Kirk goes from being a fresh academy graduate, to a full captain, in 2 days?
Actually, strictly speaking it's not established that the promotion scene happens right after the Narada is destroyed. It could easily be weeks or months later.

That said, it is dumb how they treat ranks and promotions in this movie. One of the things I've noticed having watched it repeatedly is just how OFTEN a CO walks out on his command with a casual "you're in charge". Robau does it to Kirk at the start of course, but watch the scene over Vulcan. Pike turns the ship over to Spock. Within ten minutes Spock turns it over to Chekov. Within five minutes of that Chekov turns it over to somebody we don't even know and runs off the bridge. And we have Kirk the academy cadet who isn't even on active status being put in as second in command... and so on. Daft.

Still. Starfleet is not the US Navy. It's rooted in a culture that is likely at least as different to us as the 1700s are to today, if not far more so. There's no reason to suppose it will adhere to anything like the present day standards of career path and promotion.
The romulans. I really disliked the look they gave them. Nothing about them, save the ears, looked romulan. They looked like a bunch of space biker skin heads, not romulans. They didn't even look alien really, even on the rare occassion you could actually see they had pointy ears. They sure didn't act very romulan. And their ship...that's suppose to be a romulan design? It looks more like something the Shadows from Babylon 5 would have used. Not that it didn't look cool, but nothing about it, inside or out, looked anything like any romulan vessel we've seen.
The bald and tattooed thing doesn't bother me. They had stubble, so clearly bald was intended to be a choice on their part, not a species characteristic. Tattoos likewise; clearly something they did themselves, not a species marking. (I love the backstage explanation for this, wish it had made it to the screen.)

As to the ship looking different... the vast majority of the ships we have seen from any power are military/Starfleet. And EVERY Romulan ship we have ever seen is military. I don't even know what a Federation mining ship would look like, I certainly can't say what a Romulan one should.

I tend to think all those big pointys open up like a claw and clasp a large asteroid, which is then gradually ripped up and processed and pure material spat out the ass end of the ship. It's the only way I can really see that design working.
Vulcan bullies: This I just found absurd. Vulcan kids, acting all emotionless and logical, yet bullying Spock. What? This just does not make any sense to me at all.
Spock being bullied by other Vulcans as a child is straight from TOS. In Journey to Babel his own mother said "When you were five years old and came home stiff-lipped, anguished, because the other boys tormented you saying that you weren't really Vulcan... I watched you knowing that - that inside... that the human part of you was crying ... and I cried, too."

As to why... it's generally been painted as an experiment the other boys were running. They weren't being cruel as such, at least in their mind. They were interested in how Spock's Human and Vulcan halves meshed, and bullied him as an experiment to see if they could find a stimulus to provoke an emotional response. Those are the exact terms the movie put it in, too. And look close and you will see that the bullies were actually quite surprised and shocked when Spock did react as he did in the end.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Kit doesn't refer to an adaptor kit, it's military slang for equipment. IE: the torpedo's used existing equipment to fire. As for the power generation and space, we know next to nothing about the ship itself. The entire thing could be chock full of mining gear for all we know and all they had free was the equipment to fire mining charges or probes.
Ah, sorry about that, not much up on military slang.

I would hope the thing was full of mining gear, being a mining vessel. And yeah, we don't know much about the ship in terms of numbers for it's space use and power, but just by going off the sheer size of it, it would seem very likely that they could squeeze a few disruptors on it. Energy weapons have a great advatage over ballistic weapons in that as long as you have power, you have ammo. On a mining ship, which shouldn't be getting into fights all that often, not having to set aside space for ammo would be a nice thing. More room for whatever your harvesting.
I think you'll find that they want movies to be entertaining to a broad audience, how many folks in the general populace even know what a supernova or a black hole are?
But here's the thing, making it so the science makes at least some sense doesn't make the movie less entertaining to that broad audience. As you said, the general populace might not even know what SN or BH are, so what does it matter to them either way?

Movie with bad science
Average joe: That was awesome!
Nerd: That made no sense!

Movie with good science
Nerd: That was awesome and made sense!
Whilst I liked the look, you have to wonder what happens to the user if a malfunction triggers the wrong crystal in those pistols.
That depends on which setting the phaser is suppose to be on I guess.
There are theories that you could use a rotating black hole to go back in time. Why that makes a difference I couldn't say, and it would almost certainly be very different from what we saw in the movie... but meh. There's a theoretical possibility there, I'm happy enough with that.
Never heard that before, so I guess I'll have to keep my mouth shut until I know more.
Whilst a black hole would destroy the planet just as easily from the surface, I took it to be that the red matter doesn't make a black hole unless it's in or close to the middle of whatever it's in. Every time we saw it used it was at the centre of the object it consumed - the supernova, Vulcan, Nero's ship.
Actually, having been thinking over it for a while, I came up with an idea on it. The red matter might work as a sort of gravity accelerator. Through whatever technobabble BS method, it makes gravity more intense, so that a given object has a stronger gravity field than it should for it's mass. By planeting it in the middle of the planet (assuming that vulcan has a molten core) they can ensure that the black hole will "grow" properly, that is more and more matter will keep falling into it during it's developmental stage where it might not have the gravity yet to pull in solid objects. As for the end of the movie black hole, it was formed by all the red matter being released at once, so it resulted in a greater intensifying of the gravitation constant, and thus needed less matter to form it's "fully grown" black hole.
So Vulcan could have been destroyed without the drilling, but it would have taken more of the red matter to do it. As Nero had many more worlds to destroy, he was just being conservative with what was a limited supply of superweapon
Actually you are dead wrong on this one. Black holes are like anything else; how much gravity they have depends on their mass. If the hole had massed fifty times what the sun does then yeah, it would throw the whole solar system into chaos. But if it massed a ton then it wouldn't have any more effect on the sun or planets than any one ton mass would.

If you made the Earth into a black hole, the event horizon would be about the size of a pea; but if you went out and stood where the surface used to be, the gravity of that black hole would still only be 1 gee. And if you went to the moon, it would be whatever it was before there, as well. In fact if you converted the Earth into a black hole right now then, gravitationally speaking, the rest of the solar system wouldn't really notice any difference. It certainly wouldn't send planets flying all over the place.

It does raise an odd question, though, because red matter seems to create quite large black holes without the need for large masses. A hole miles across - like the one we saw at the end - would need something getting towards a solar mass to create it, but that little red ball can't sensibly have been that heavy. Red matter seems to circumvent the need for mass in black hole creation, which is intriguing and very impressive.
I think I answered off all this in my above reply.
No wait, you said I was dead wrong, but then contradicted yourself :). Yes, a black hole only has as much gravity as anything else of equal mass, it's just packed in to a much much much smaller space. As you said, the black hole we saw was massive, hardly your pea sized earth mass. So that would have been a heavy gravitational body that suddenly opened up, which certainly could have screwed with the planetary orbits. Hell, the Ent couldn't get away from it at full warp, which I'm more than certain would be enough to break orbit from earth, which certainly seems to suggest the black hole had a greater gravitational pull than earth, and probably many many times greater.
Ignoring the Borgification backstory, I find it acceptable to believe that what the ship was using were mostly either mining charges intended to break up asteroids, or that they stopped off at some place they could stock up on weapons and took whatever was on offer at the time, which happened to be a few torpedo launchers.
Possibilities certainly, though those would be some very unusual mining charges. I think this one might be more of a personal thing for me...I just find it very screwy that they only seemed to have ballistic weapons.
Sometimes technology comes with a downside. For those who work on heavy machinery, it's a pain in the ass that it is so noisy that it can actually physically damage you. Why don't they just make quiet machines? Because they wouldn't work as well. It's a pain in the ass that airplanes throw out colossal amounts of CO2 and are so noisy that nobody can live near the places they take off and land, but we just live with it.
Point. Still, the drill just seemed to be a big plasma thrower, or some other kind of energy shooting device, and those don't normally seem to screw with things...you know, unless you're on the other end of the emitter.
Personally my complain with the drill was... what is the point of the thing? You drill a hole into a planet from space. Okay. Then.... what? What do you do with that hole when you aren't out using red matter to suck the planet up?
It would probably be used to drill a hole in large space bodies of mostly worthless material to get at precious materials on the inside.
Actually, strictly speaking it's not established that the promotion scene happens right after the Narada is destroyed. It could easily be weeks or months later.
True, but it sure didn't feel that way, did it? Hell, Pike was still in a wheelchair. Weeks maybe, but months of starfleet medicial and he's still chair bound, I doubt that. Either way, way too soon to be captaining Kirk.
That said, it is dumb how they treat ranks and promotions in this movie. One of the things I've noticed having watched it repeatedly is just how OFTEN a CO walks out on his command with a casual "you're in charge". Robau does it to Kirk at the start of course, but watch the scene over Vulcan. Pike turns the ship over to Spock. Within ten minutes Spock turns it over to Chekov. Within five minutes of that Chekov turns it over to somebody we don't even know and runs off the bridge. And we have Kirk the academy cadet who isn't even on active status being put in as second in command... and so on. Daft.
It is rather amazing how nonchalantly you can pass off the responsibilities of command so you can go do whatever you want.

Pike: Man, I don't want to deal with this, Spock it's your problem now.
Spock: Screw that, Chekov, alls yours now, good luck.
Chekov: Oh no you don't, I'm out of here! You *points wildly* Command is yours! *bolts*
Still. Starfleet is not the US Navy. It's rooted in a culture that is likely at least as different to us as the 1700s are to today, if not far more so. There's no reason to suppose it will adhere to anything like the present day standards of career path and promotion
No, but I'd like to think it would at least adhere to a standard of common sense. Pike tells Kirk he could make captain in 8 years, 4 in the academy, 4 in service. Kirk doing the academy in 3 you can forgive, but squashing 4 years down to just a few weeks max?
The bald and tattooed thing doesn't bother me. They had stubble, so clearly bald was intended to be a choice on their part, not a species characteristic. Tattoos likewise; clearly something they did themselves, not a species marking. (I love the backstage explanation for this, wish it had made it to the screen.)
And what was the backstage explanantion?
As to the ship looking different... the vast majority of the ships we have seen from any power are military/Starfleet. And EVERY Romulan ship we have ever seen is military. I don't even know what a Federation mining ship would look like, I certainly can't say what a Romulan one should.
It wasn't that the ship just looked different, it looked VASTLY different. As in not one bit of it looked to be of romulan orgin. I'm not saying I wanted to see a hint of warbird to it, it just didn't seem like something I'd picture romulans building. I guess that's really just my view on things though, isn't it?
I tend to think all those big pointys open up like a claw and clasp a large asteroid, which is then gradually ripped up and processed and pure material spat out the ass end of the ship. It's the only way I can really see that design working.
Makes sense to me.
Spock being bullied by other Vulcans as a child is straight from TOS. In Journey to Babel his own mother said "When you were five years old and came home stiff-lipped, anguished, because the other boys tormented you saying that you weren't really Vulcan... I watched you knowing that - that inside... that the human part of you was crying ... and I cried, too."
I know, but as I said before, just because it's canon doesn't mean it makes sense.
As to why... it's generally been painted as an experiment the other boys were running. They weren't being cruel as such, at least in their mind. They were interested in how Spock's Human and Vulcan halves meshed, and bullied him as an experiment to see if they could find a stimulus to provoke an emotional response. Those are the exact terms the movie put it in, too. And look close and you will see that the bullies were actually quite surprised and shocked when Spock did react as he did in the end.
...okay now that, that I can totally believe in and accept. That makes much more sense to me than them picking on him just because they don't like him.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

For those who didn't think the Romulans looked Romulan...
While they were different than TNG Romulans, they were similar to the TOS Romulans.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I really don't mind the difference. The people we saw were miners, not military officers or politicians.
Look at any naval officer in the US, then look at an oil rig worker. You'll see just as much of a difference.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lighthawk wrote:
Ah, sorry about that, not much up on military slang.

I would hope the thing was full of mining gear, being a mining vessel. And yeah, we don't know much about the ship in terms of numbers for it's space use and power, but just by going off the sheer size of it, it would seem very likely that they could squeeze a few disruptors on it. Energy weapons have a great advatage over ballistic weapons in that as long as you have power, you have ammo. On a mining ship, which shouldn't be getting into fights all that often, not having to set aside space for ammo would be a nice thing. More room for whatever your harvesting.
Well looking at the trailer shots on the net, a good deal of the ship appears to be pointy fins of no discernible purpose. Though your point about disruptor has merit, it's not exactly accurate that power=ammo all the time. Phaser banks in TOS ran dry a few times and in NEM the E-E had the same problem. And while disruptor probably have more utility then a missile, they still require power and control cabling run to them. The appeal the missiles have is that if she needs to operate in her military capacity then she simply uses the existing explosives storage as a magazine.

That said, I would prefer her to have both but for whatever reason they opted not to in the effects shop.

But here's the thing, making it so the science makes at least some sense doesn't make the movie less entertaining to that broad audience. As you said, the general populace might not even know what SN or BH are, so what does it matter to them either way?

Movie with bad science
Nerd: That made no sense!

Movie with good science
Nerd: That was awesome and made sense!
*shrug* It's Trek, it's science was typically bad to begin with. Besides, I thought the purpose of the movie was to break with it's nerdish stigma. But yeah, would have been nice if they simply termed it "energy wave" or something nebulous.
There's probably a physical cutoff that prevents you from triggering it while you switch.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lighthawk wrote:As you said, the black hole we saw was massive, hardly your pea sized earth mass. So that would have been a heavy gravitational body that suddenly opened up, which certainly could have screwed with the planetary orbits. Hell, the Ent couldn't get away from it at full warp, which I'm more than certain would be enough to break orbit from earth, which certainly seems to suggest the black hole had a greater gravitational pull than earth, and probably many many times greater.
Well it's not clear exactly what we are seeing, really. How big was the actual event horizon? I would say it was much smaller than the 'area of blackness' that we saw, just because the ship wouldn't have been able to withstand a larger one.
True, but it sure didn't feel that way, did it? Hell, Pike was still in a wheelchair. Weeks maybe, but months of starfleet medicial and he's still chair bound, I doubt that. Either way, way too soon to be captaining Kirk.
For all we know, Pike was wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. The fact that the hall was full of cadets when most of the cadets should have been killed over Vulcan also implies that there's been enough time passing to recruit a new student body. It's subtle, and open to interpretation... but why interepret it in a way that makes a problem when you can interpret it in a way that doesn't?
No, but I'd like to think it would at least adhere to a standard of common sense. Pike tells Kirk he could make captain in 8 years, 4 in the academy, 4 in service. Kirk doing the academy in 3 you can forgive, but squashing 4 years down to just a few weeks max?
Ideas of common sense are notoriously flexible. The British Navy, for example, used to recruit Midshipmen into the fleet at the age of 11 or 12. A young man by the name of Thomas Cochrane was famously entered as a volunteer on a ship's books at the ripe old age of 5. It was not unusual for these kids to command sailors, even in battle. To todays eyes the idea of a 13 year old kid commanding a gun in battle is absurd... but the most professional navy in the world did it for centuries.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea to throw command around as they did. I'm saying that, given sufficient cultural difference, it's conceivable that they might do it.
And what was the backstage explanantion?
There's an old school Romulan custom that when grieving one shaves one's head and paints a design on. Over the months, as the paint fades and the hair grows back, you are supposed to let go of your gried and pain. Nero's guys tattooed the designs onto themselves and shaved their heads permanently, to show that their grief and rage over the loss of Romulus would never die.
It wasn't that the ship just looked different, it looked VASTLY different. As in not one bit of it looked to be of romulan orgin. I'm not saying I wanted to see a hint of warbird to it, it just didn't seem like something I'd picture romulans building. I guess that's really just my view on things though, isn't it?
For me it's like looking at a Destroyer next to an oil rig. The two look absolutely nothing alike, have barely one feature in common. It doesn't therefore follow that they are not built by the same country.
...okay now that, that I can totally believe in and accept. That makes much more sense to me than them picking on him just because they don't like him.
It's fairly clear that that's what they are doing. They come with "prepared" insults. They talk about how "perhaps physical stimulus is needed for an emotional response". Even Spock says "this is your 34th attempt to provoke an emotional response from me." These aren't kids having fun, they are conducting an experiment.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Ideas of common sense are notoriously flexible. The British Navy, for example, used to recruit Midshipmen into the fleet at the age of 11 or 12. A young man by the name of Thomas Cochrane was famously entered as a volunteer on a ship's books at the ripe old age of 5. It was not unusual for these kids to command sailors, even in battle. To todays eyes the idea of a 13 year old kid commanding a gun in battle is absurd... but the most professional navy in the world did it for centuries.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea to throw command around as they did. I'm saying that, given sufficient cultural difference, it's conceivable that they might do it.
It's worth noting that Pike said he "could have his own ship in 8", he never said what kind of ship. If SF is anything like a RL Navy he could have been commanding a patrol boat or a frigate.