The Narada

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Narada

Post by Teaos »

It was a MINING ship, it doesnt need weapons coverage. It need 1 or 2 low powered guns for basic basic defence.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Ah, see, its been a while. But still, only one out of six, not a huge blow right?
15% reduction in capabilities isn't a huge blow, but it would certainly hurt. The Unicomplex was also destroyed, which would probably be a greater blow than the lost hub. Trillions of Borg dead? Ouch.
I think the most important part was that appeared to be the transwarp hub the Borg used to menace Earth and the A/B quadrants. Even if it wasn't crippling in terms of shear numbers it could mean a lot of breathing room for the Federation.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:It was a MINING ship, it doesnt need weapons coverage. It need 1 or 2 low powered guns for basic basic defence.
Or it needed them, as has already been stated, to blow up asteroids and cut into planets?
Just like a current day mining operation may use C4 explosives to get somewhere, the Narada would use relatively weak disrupters/torpedoes.
Then just like a current day warship may use ballistic missiles, the centuries old HMS Victory used cannons.

Put the current mining operation weapons (C4) against old warships (cannons) - well, there's only one winner.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Consdiering phasers and disruptors tend to vaporise things at least partially they would not be a great thing to point at the mineral your mining, the torpedoes, yeah I can buy that I guess, but even then why would it need more than 1 or 2, it doesnt need to turn an astroid fiend into gravel in 15 seconds, 1 tube would be more than enough, along with 1-2 disruptors.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:Consdiering phasers and disruptors tend to vaporise things at least partially they would not be a great thing to point at the mineral your mining, the torpedoes, yeah I can buy that I guess, but even then why would it need more than 1 or 2, it doesnt need to turn an astroid fiend into gravel in 15 seconds, 1 tube would be more than enough, along with 1-2 disruptors.
How can you come to such quantitive conclusions when there is clearly no information? Maybe it does need to turn an asteroid field into gravel in 15 seconds, or maybe it requires more weapons to give a bigger firing arc, or maybe it's got some for mining and some for defence, or maybe it's a special ship that mines a particularly resiliant material? To say "No, it only needs x amount of weapons" is pretty ridiculous. As said - weak mining explosives of the future would (and canonically is) more than a match for the weapons of a century old warship.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

n you come to such quantitive conclusions when there is clearly no information?
Logic.
Maybe it does need to turn an asteroid field into gravel in 15 seconds,
The Narada is only a certain size (estimates between 3-5km including the useless pointy bits up front) thus it can only process a certain amount of stuff, given we large areas of empty space in the ship and the fact it has that big pull in rig we know that the whole inside of the ship isnt just a processing plant.

This it would be pointless to bust up massive amounts of astroids when you can only handle a few square kilometers of stuff at the absolute most.

Why would it need to have 20 tubes that can vaporise a whole field in 15 seconds when 2 tubes can do it in a few minutes to the same end result?

There is no logical point in having so many if they are just for mining.
or maybe it's a special ship that mines a particularly resiliant material?
It was mining a rare mineral found deep insaide planets (thus that giant drop out rig), so really there is no roll for those shooting out charges we saw for that roll. Granted this is its non canon roll, but since it was semi tied in with canon (The mineral it was mining was turned into the red matter) it is the best we have.
To say "No, it only needs x amount of weapons" is pretty ridiculous.
I never said it needed X amount, I said it didnt need the shit loads we saw and logically would only need a few.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If you want to trot out part of Countdown and use it for proof of anything you've got to use all of it, including the part where the Borg completely changed the thing at which point anything could have happened with its weapons.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Possibly, but the reason I use the mineral as an example is because we see the redmatter it gets turned into and the drilling rig it uses. We see nothing officially borgish.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Teaos wrote:Possibly, but the reason I use the mineral as an example is because we see the redmatter it gets turned into and the drilling rig it uses. We see nothing officially borgish.
We also see nothing official that says the Narada and its mining activities have squat to do with the redmatter. We do see the drilling rig but it looks to have the same issues you say phasers and disruptors would have as mining implements.
Teaos wrote:Consdiering phasers and disruptors tend to vaporise things at least partially they would not be a great thing to point at the mineral your mining,
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the rig is desinged to dig through the crust to the mineral, other were arguing disruptors would make good rock crackers.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'll be honest, not seeing a lot of difference personally.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Teaos wrote:It was a MINING ship, it doesnt need weapons coverage. It need 1 or 2 low powered guns for basic basic defence.
Whats to say that Nero didn't acquire the weapons as opposed to having them in the first place. It is much more likely that he modified his ship before going to seek revenge (especially because he first sought revenge in the 24th century, and as such would encounter 24th century starships).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:
Whats to say that Nero didn't acquire the weapons as opposed to having them in the first place. It is much more likely that he modified his ship before going to seek revenge (especially because he first sought revenge in the 24th century, and as such would encounter 24th century starships).
Yup. Even if we assume the Narada always looked like that and disregard the Borg stuff, there's no reason he couldn't have bought weapons. We know all sorts of stuff is freely available - hell Quark was selling photons and claimed he had Quantums!

If a modern supertanker stopped off at certain ports, how hard would it be to stock up on a few hundred RPGs and a few dozen AK-47s? Maybe some heavier cannon, 30 mm stuff? Mortars or even light artillery pieces?

Take it all back in time a couple of hundred years and you now have the world's most powerful warship.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Teaos wrote:
n you come to such quantitive conclusions when there is clearly no information?
Logic.
Maybe it does need to turn an asteroid field into gravel in 15 seconds,
The Narada is only a certain size (estimates between 3-5km including the useless pointy bits up front) thus it can only process a certain amount of stuff, given we large areas of empty space in the ship and the fact it has that big pull in rig we know that the whole inside of the ship isnt just a processing plant.

This it would be pointless to bust up massive amounts of astroids when you can only handle a few square kilometers of stuff at the absolute most.

Why would it need to have 20 tubes that can vaporise a whole field in 15 seconds when 2 tubes can do it in a few minutes to the same end result?

There is no logical point in having so many if they are just for mining.
or maybe it's a special ship that mines a particularly resiliant material?
It was mining a rare mineral found deep insaide planets (thus that giant drop out rig), so really there is no roll for those shooting out charges we saw for that roll. Granted this is its non canon roll, but since it was semi tied in with canon (The mineral it was mining was turned into the red matter) it is the best we have.
To say "No, it only needs x amount of weapons" is pretty ridiculous.
I never said it needed X amount, I said it didnt need the s**t loads we saw and logically would only need a few.

Ummmm, I suggest you take another estimate, the Narada is clearly around the 25-30 KM length mark. We see this compared to the nearly 1 KM long USS Enterprise towards the end of the movie. This thing makes a super star destroyer look like fresh meat.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

My answer would be the same as Stitch and Graham: Nero made a few "tweaks" to his ship.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who