Beware Hobo Obi-Wan!

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Beware Hobo Obi-Wan!

Post by Teaos »

Sith doesnt mean better than Dark Jedi, just different, although they do tend to be better...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Good to know, thanx.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Sith doesnt mean better than Dark Jedi, just different, although they do tend to be better...
Less 'tend' and more usually are. Sith require a plumbing of the Dark Side that Dark Jedi haven't gotten to or aren't capable of.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Sith require a plumbing of the Dark Side that Dark Jedi haven't gotten to or aren't capable of.
Not at all. The Banite Sith tend to be stronger than Jedi, but that's inherent in their organisation - since there's only two of them at any one time each Master has to be picky about choosing their Apprentice. Go further back (the New Sith Wars before Ruusan for example) and the Jedi and Sith were pretty evenly balanced. Joruus C'baoth would have had the average NSW Sith for breakfast.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We're talking about the anti-Jedi Sith, right, not the original species of Sith?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Yup.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Great googly-moogly, but some of the EU stuff confuses me. Now, lemme see: way way WAY back when, a bunch of Jedi turned to the Dark Side. They were exiled, found a race called the Sith, and started interbreeding. The species of the Sith is long gone, but the name stuck around to indicate the descendants of these particular Dark Jedi, who learned to fully unleash the power of the Dark Side. And now, they are so brilliantly evil that they continue to try and dominate the Jedi by limiting themselves to all of two members.

That about right?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

More or less, although the term "Sith" is probably better defined as the followers of a particular Dark Side religion, based on that forged by the Sith "species" and their Dark Jedi conquerors, regardless of their descent. Several times they've been completely wiped out, only to return thanks to some Dark Lord's ghost hanging round for a few millennia and then training a disillusioned Jedi as their successor.

The Rule of Two founded by Darth Bane was based on a number of points;

1) Power. Bane's conception was that the power of the Force, and therefore the Dark Side, was finite. Therefore, the more Sith existed, the more the Dark Side would be diluted, weakening individual Sith.

2) Practicality. The more Sith there were, the more likely they would be detected by the Jedi and hunted down. By restricting their numbers the Sith would make themselves invisible, and allow them to use what Bane saw as the natural tools of the Dark Side; cunning, deceit and treachery.

3) Philosophy. Dark Side Force users are inherently selfish - they seek only power. Therefore, in any large gathering of Sith a single individual would inevitably take control. This would lead their subordinates to combine to overthrow them, the strongest of the survivors would then take control themselves, and the entire cycle would start anew. This would also weaken the Sith over time, as the most powerful individuals would be the first to die in the internecine warfare. By restricting the Sith's numbers to two, Bane turned this disadvantage into a strength. The Master would, by definition, be the most powerful of the Sith, while the apprentice would inherently be weaken. Whenever these roles were reversed, the Apprentice would challenge and kill the Master, become the Master in their turn, take an Apprentice of their own, and begin the cycle anew, ensuring that the Sith Order was always as strong as possible.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think I got it.
as Bull offed Custer