got a pip

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: got a pip

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Do we actualy know if she went to the academy? She's a glorified therapist, why would she need to?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:Do we actualy know if she went to the academy? She's a glorified therapist, why would she need to?
Well she probably went to a normal university for psychologist school, and then when she signed up for Starfleet I'm sure they felt the need to send her throught the Academy for their own form of counselor training because I doubt most standard courses deal with the stresses of long term space flight. And then she may have taken other electives.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Phantom Renegade
Banned

Post by Phantom Renegade »

Rochey wrote:Do we actualy know if she went to the academy? She's a glorified therapist, why would she need to?
Basic training? Although if she was some sort of civilian contractor who was integrated into Star Fleet it would explain a lot, including her tendancy not to know stuff and the non-standard uniforms she wore.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No, she was a ranked officer. She had to take a command competency exam, which Riker implied was routine for all shipboard senior staff. A civilian attache would never be in the chain to command the ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:No, she was a ranked officer. She had to take a command competency exam, which Riker implied was routine for all shipboard senior staff. A civilian attache would never be in the chain to command the ship.
Certainly not in any modern military, but in Starfleet who knows? Kira took command of the Defiant often enough, and she wasn't even a Federation citizen.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True; but why would Troi be subject to Starfleet competency exams if she wasn't Starfleet?
as Bull offed Custer
Phantom Renegade
Banned

Mikey wrote:True; but why would Troi be subject to Starfleet competency exams if she wasn't Starfleet?
IU: Because she works for them and has to do what they do anyway? OU: Writers are idiots?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You're going to fit in here just fine, Phantom Renegade. :wink:

All possible; but the fact that she was eventaully made to wear a uniform, with unmodified insignia, still leads me to believe that she was "regular" Starfleet. Jellico's orders even intimate that she should wear a uniform because her status as an officer required it.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Which begs the question of why she was running around in upholstered jumpsuits all the time. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Phantom Renegade
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote:Which begs the question of why she was running around in upholstered jumpsuits all the time. :?
Because she likes the attention and Picard is a dirty old man at heart?
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

me,myself and I wrote:
Well she probably went to a normal university for psychologist school, and then when she signed up for Starfleet I'm sure they felt the need to send her throught the Academy for their own form of counselor training because I doubt most standard courses deal with the stresses of long term space flight. And then she may have taken other electives.
In the book Imzadi, didn't Riker first meet her when she was a college student? Perhaps she then went through a type of OCS (Officer Candidate School) training. My belief, like militaries of today, that some officers came from academies and some came from the college or university of their choice and then signed up for Starfleet.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Phantom Renegade wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Which begs the question of why she was running around in upholstered jumpsuits all the time. :?
I seem to recall reading somewhere(I forget where) that it was meant to put the crew at ease so they felt they could be able to talk to her instead of being intimitaded by a uniform and baring their soul to a superior officer or some such thing like that.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Phantom Renegade
Banned

me,myself and I wrote:
Phantom Renegade wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere(I forget where) that it was meant to put the crew at ease so they felt they could be able to talk to her instead of being intimitaded by a uniform and baring their soul to a superior officer or some such thing like that.
That can't be it. That actually makes sense.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Phantom Renegade wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:
Phantom Renegade wrote:
:worried: Any body got the duct tape?
Phantom Renegade
Banned

me,myself and I wrote:
Phantom Renegade wrote:
me,myself and I wrote: I seem to recall reading somewhere(I forget where) that it was meant to put the crew at ease so they felt they could be able to talk to her instead of being intimitaded by a uniform and baring their soul to a superior officer or some such thing like that.
:worried: Any body got the duct tape?
oooh, kinky. But sadly you aren't my type.