Ship Comparisons Across Genre

Everything else
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Captain Seafort wrote:This is another good site for size comparisons - with the updated 19km length for the Executor rather than the rough estimate on the one Foxbat posted.
I love the inclusion of King Kong, Stay Puft Marshmellow Man (Ghostbusters), and Godzilla. :lol:

I think I like that one better. It at least has something from Stargate...
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:I like the "BIG" scale. What a crazy concept, a Dyson Sphere.
Says something that the biggest thing they've got is from ST. ;)

All joking aside... that site really helps with fanfics, actually. And just... visualizing these magnificent vessels.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:I like the "BIG" scale. What a crazy concept, a Dyson Sphere.
Says something that the biggest thing they've got is from ST. ;)

All joking aside... that site really helps with fanfics, actually. And just... visualizing these magnificent vessels.
It's nice because if you turn to the smallest scale, we see that everything, even the Dyson Sphere is all just the size of a dot compared to James T. Kirk's libido =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They should have the V'Ger cloud on there - even the 2 AU version from the director's cut would be bigger than the Dyson Sphere, and the 82 AU version would be HELLA big.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The 2AU one would be about the same as the dyson.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The biggest problem with that site, now that the Executor has been fixed, is the second Death Star - it's depicted as being less than one-fifth its true diametre.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cant have everything, I guess. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Unfortunately, I can't really see any way to justify the "real" DITL having a bunch of ancient Earth sci-fi ships in their database! We have a strict rule that it must at least be mentioned somewhere in Star Trek to appear on our size charts - though we happily include stuff like 20th century aircraft, cars, etc. We even put the RMS Titanic in when Tom mentioned it in one episode of Voyager!
Tucker was a huge science fiction fan (which I always thought was cool Star Trek people talking about Sci-Fi :P). Maybe his personal collection of ancient science fiction movies is uploaded onto Daystorm :P
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:The biggest problem with that site, now that the Executor has been fixed, is the second Death Star - it's depicted as being less than one-fifth its true diametre.
Oh yeah, failed to notice that. Though truthfully, the 900km Death Star II seems so astronomically large, it's build time is almost unbelievable as is.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well you've got a Galaxy 400,000 light years across with 20 million sentient species. Its not that far to stretch the imagination and say that they could build it in 6 (9 for completion) months. I think a lot would have to be built off sight and tractored there cause they'd keep running into each other if they built it all on site :P
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nitpick - The GFFA is only 120,000 ly across

I think what happened was that Xixor's transport fleet was used to transport raw material to Endor, and the requisite parts were fabricated on-site. Since it's over five-hundred miles across I don't think lack of space is going to be a problem. The problems with a modular construction theory would be the lack of evidence for a hyperspace tow, the danger of security breaches at secondary construction sites, and the fact that the DS II didn't look as though it had been built in segments (although that might be an effect of the scale of the thing).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Can you buy that as a poster?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:This is another good site for size comparisons - with the updated 19km length for the Executor rather than the rough estimate on the one Foxbat posted.
I have been visiting that site for about 3 years or more... great place.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:Nitpick - The GFFA is only 120,000 ly across
I think that was retconned. I got the ly from an old Han Solo book but when I was looking on Wookieepedia I saw 120,000ly too. Hmm.