Least Favorite Episode?

The Original Series
Moose
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Moose »

Who Mourns for Adonais.... it offends me... it really does. It uses the Greek deity names while confusing Apollo as part of the Greek Pantheon with Apollo's place in the Roman Pantheon... HIS POWERS ARE DIFFERENT!

Also... Apollo is the god of archery, prophesy, disease etc etc etc... yet do we see these?

The closest we get t seeing him as 'the Far Worker' (Homeric Epithet) is with the 'hand thing'. As well as that... Apollo does not attract women... he has to convince them to be interested in him... see the story of Cassandra.

Sorry... I'm ranting... maybe I should put my list of quibbles with this episode over in YATI... because to be honest Gilbert Ralston just doesn't know the first thing about Greek gods.

End of rant...
Commander Patrick O'Dwyer
TF21 PLO
and
Captain William O'Dwyer
DS5 CO
TF21
Obsidian Fleet
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

+1 History/Mythology Dork =)

Awesome reasoning. In seventh grade, I actually picked apart that episode for a report on mythology. I'm glad to know someone else appreciates the awfulness of Who Mourns....
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Moose wrote:Who Mourns for Adonais.... it offends me... it really does. It uses the Greek deity names while confusing Apollo as part of the Greek Pantheon with Apollo's place in the Roman Pantheon... HIS POWERS ARE DIFFERENT!

Also... Apollo is the god of archery, prophesy, disease etc etc etc... yet do we see these?

The closest we get t seeing him as 'the Far Worker' (Homeric Epithet) is with the 'hand thing'. As well as that... Apollo does not attract women... he has to convince them to be interested in him... see the story of Cassandra.

Sorry... I'm ranting... maybe I should put my list of quibbles with this episode over in YATI... because to be honest Gilbert Ralston just doesn't know the first thing about Greek gods.

End of rant...
Dang, Moose! That's awesome, there.

TNG: Shades of Gray, Sub Rosa

ENT: These are the Voyages...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Strictly TOS

Way to Eden
Who mourns
platos' stepchildren
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Way To Eden for sure. I love Spock's Brain though, what's not to love about a space dildo?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Am I the only one who found The Man Trap to be wholly ridiculous?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You are not alone.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I mean I know it's the first episode to air and therefor has to be semi-important, etc. But damn, it was quite awful.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I thought it was a stretch that Bones was running into an old girlfriend in space. I know the Federation is small as sci-fi powers go but it's still pretty big.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I thought it was a stretch that Bones was running into an old girlfriend in space. I know the Federation is small as sci-fi powers go but it's still pretty big.
And that's not the last time it happened either, within TOS.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yes, I recall that Nurse Chapell signed on to find Roger Corby.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, those are just a couple out of many examples of 'Trek writers ignoring logic, or even a sembalnce of common sense, in order to avoid actually having to work to explain a plot line.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I was recently reminded of another stinker: The Omega Glory possibly the worst in the second season and definetly on par with Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Wait, Kendall? You think Let that be Your Last Battlefield was a BAD episode?! It's a bit overdone, but c'mon, that was one of the quintessential episodes of original Trek. I won't go with Graham's review and call it *****, but it's one of the earliest Trek episodes that I have a memory of, and for obvious reason. The message was classic Trek, without sinking to the depths of crap like The Way to Eden
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I think it was completely over the top. I mean black on one side and white on the other? A little more subtley would be nice.