Acquisition

Enterprise
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Stafleet Command might have known, but that doesn't neccessarily mean every single officer in the fleet will know.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought it was implied that no one knew. Its been a while since I saw it though, so I'm not too sure...

I still find the idea that the ferengi were right in the middle of what would probably become UFP space in ENT, and have no one know about them later on.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Actually, from all the starcharts I have seen (including the ones on the show), Ferengi space is still on the edge of federation space even in the 24th century.

If the Federation is the USA, the Ferengi Alliance would be around Alaska.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Right, and while we may not have known there was oil/gold/whatever in Alaska ages back, if there were a ton of advanced people, we woulda heard something =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Also we know for a fact the Breen made first contact with the Ferengi so it stands to reason other powers would know of them also.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:Also we know for a fact the Breen made first contact with the Ferengi so it stands to reason other powers would know of them also.
I agree that someone should have, but how much did anyone even know about the Breen. I doubt good info on the Ferengi would come the Breen.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No but it stands to reason that if the Breen made first contact and gave them warp that they would of had to of come arcoss others. The Romulans know the Breen thus should know of the Ferengi. He have been allies with just about everyone at one time.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I doubt the breen would have been the only race to know of them.
I would be very surprised of they hadn't spread themselves out after they got warp drive to every planet in reach.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:Also we know for a fact the Breen made first contact with the Ferengi so it stands to reason other powers would know of them also.
When was it mentioned that they made first contact with the Breen? I have never heard of that before.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I read it in wiki. Which while not always correct for most things trek it does pretty good. If you look it up there they will probably have a reference.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Legends of the ferengi is a funny book by all accounts but non-cannon......like some of the rambling musings though
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Star Trek seems to have a problem with leaving huge areas of the galaxy unexplored until they need a plot device. i.e. what's to the galactic west of the Federation in terms of a sizable Empire? What's to the galactic east of the Klingons? Everything seems focused on the Alpha Quadrant / Beta Quadrant boarder.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Anything to the east of the Klingons isn't our problem till they dfeat gthe Klingons which would take awhile.

The west of us could have a big empire but it would have to travel through 6000 light years of Federation space until it got to a core world.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

that's a lot of relatively undefended territory to take chunks out of. Surprised no one tried during the Dominion War.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Dispite what DS9 told us we are not always under threat.

We have ships everywhere as a deterant but we don't need massive fleets to defend us. We are not always under threat.