Question: Reuse of old ships

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think re using older ships for other purposes is a great use of materials. It is almost canon to since it explains why we saw 150 year old ships in the war.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I think re using older ships for other purposes is a great use of materials. It is almost canon to since it explains why we saw 150 year old ships in the war.
I think it's a great idea and highly practical. In space, anything capable of interstellar travel can be put to use. The idea that it can't do anything worthwhile because it's not new is silly. There's a lot of unglamorous jobs that need to be done to run an interstellar civilization. Look at Cassidy's freighter ship in DS9... the thing looked, at least visually, decades old at minimum. Certainly at SOME point it must have been relatively state of the art. And that ship was doing everything from ferrying cargo to meeting with Tholians to smuggling weapons to the Maquis. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But if things do end up going wrong in space your kind of screwed.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:But if things do end up going wrong in space your kind of screwed.
That's true even if you're in a brand new, state of the art ship. Short of some hocus pocus and double-crossing, the Sovereign-class Enterprise-E was almost destroyed barely a year out of spacedock, from its own self-destruct. ;)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But old ships have much more chance of failing.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:But old ships have much more chance of failing.
Not if the parts are easier to maintain, or replace.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

In space, shouldn't hull life almost be infinite, due to the fact they are in a vacuum?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It has rather large forces put apon it.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Correct, but I doubt the forces put upon a ship that's sitting pretty stationary in a single system, often not moving unless needed, would be very significant.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's constantly under pressure from the air inside. It has the vibrations of all the equipment working inside it. Sure it might not be moving around but it is constantly under pressure of some sort.

shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

That, and there is a minimal pressure on the outside due to small particles and debris travelling at several kilometers per second.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Deflector dish removes them.

Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Re: Question: Reuse of old ships

Post by Bernd »

While it has never been explicitly mentioned, there must be some sort of "subspace drag" because every kind of acceleration requires that a force is exerted upon the hull.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re:

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Correct, but I doubt the forces put upon a ship that's sitting pretty stationary in a single system, often not moving unless needed, would be very significant.
You're forgetting things like radiation from the sun. While we're protected by the ozone layer a space craft would have no such protection and radiation, and I'm sure other factors I'm forgetting, would wear the hull down. Maybe not as fast as a similar craft on earth, but it would break down eventually.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
You're forgetting things like radiation from the sun. While we're protected by the ozone layer a space craft would have no such protection and radiation, and I'm sure other factors I'm forgetting, would wear the hull down. Maybe not as fast as a similar craft on earth, but it would break down eventually.
I'd tend to think that the amount of time it would take for solar wind to erode a starship hull would be so mind-boggingly long as to be completely moot for any practical purposes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer