Chem Dogs: Escape From Dust

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Chem Dogs: Escape From Dust

Post by Lighthawk »

1713 day 1

"I'm heading up for a look around," Hilda said to Intias, somewhere between asking permission and making a declaration of intent. Hilda figured the ogryn could do a good enough job of impressing on the tech-priest the need to hurry without her help, and she needed to be doing something at the moment. She headed for the stairs up to the catwalk and then out onto the roof.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

1713 - "What's the matter, your judge-ness?" Crank called to Hilda. "Don't you trust me?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Hilda snorted. "Convince me it'd be a good idea to, and we'll see."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mikey wrote:1713 - Lirk didn't understand the talk of machine spirits; but to an Ogryn, arguing with a commissar was almost the same as arguing with the Emperor Himself. He shoved a couple of idle Rough Riders into place to take over his sentry duties and stalked toward the tech-priest. Glowering down at the enginseer Lirk growled, "Com'sar say fix, you fix. Disrespect Emp'ror's voice again, maybe you get broke."
Litila ignored the Ogryn's comments as she kept performing the rituals of activation on the machine-spirits. They would serve, or they were already broken, and she merely had to decide which, and how much effort would be needed if they could be asked to serve.

Looking over the final results, she looked at the Commissar and said, "The Machine-Spirit of the Salamander reports it is fully functional in body and soul. It is ready to deliver the Emperor's Judgement.

"The Chimera's Machine Spirit has much to be troubled by. Its left tread was damaged and the tech-priest performing the repair rituals left them half complete. That is the easy part. The bolter and its ammo compartments were cut out of its mount, a horrible desecration to its loyal spirit. The multi-laser's cogitator is unable to decide if the multi-laser is functional. This could be an issue with the multi-laser, or the cogitator, I do not yet know. The fuel tank is 1/3 full, and the en-jinn appears intact, though the jinn could do with a cleansing ritual, and the starter needs to be checked. I can repair the tracks in five minutes with a helper who can take directions.

"The rest will take longer."

Raltus was trying to decide, did he go up to the roof where he would be farther from the transports in case they had to leave quickly, or did he hang around the Ogryn? Deciding to keep his option sopen, Raltus said, "I'll keep an eye from the upper windows." This would allow him to be close enough to get in the commissar's transport, yet stay far enough away to avoid an Ogryn 'friendly gesture'. What an Ogryn considered a friendly slap on the back was a good way to get killed.

After running up to the second floor, and looking quickly through the rooms, Raltus realized there were no windows. He thought he had passed a few of the other troopers, but wasn't sure. He briefly thought about making a window, but decided not to, as it might draw fire. Heading back down, he glanced over the positions on the ground floor, trying to find any spots that didn't have enough protection, and were near the vehicles.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

It didn't take Hak long to load up the meger food stores, which he split more or less equally between the rides. In short order he was back at Intias's side. "Ma'am, chow's loaded. Anything else needing doing? I can go take a run n look outside maybe?"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Intias listened to the cog-girl. "Get the Chimera in working order, we can't all fit in the Salamander. Requisition whoever you need to perform the repairs. We'll worry about the machine spirt's feelings later." She glanced at the over eager Hak, "we've got eyes on the roof and the rough riders for looking around, ever fixed a Chimera before?"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

"Uh..." Hak said. "No ma'am, can't say that I has. I'm rather better at breaking things than fixin' em, if ya get my meaning."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Tyyr wrote:1715

Intias listened to the cog-girl. "Get the Chimera in working order, we can't all fit in the Salamander. Requisition whoever you need to perform the repairs. We'll worry about the machine spirt's feelings later." She glanced at the over eager Hak, "we've got eyes on the roof and the rough riders for looking around, ever fixed a Chimera before?"
Litila listened to the logic, and set up her checklist. "If he can accept directions, I will teach him. If not, I will aquire another assistant."
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Intias nodded at Litila, "Ok then. Trooper you're drafted," she said looking at Hak, "Help the priestess to get that Chimera running."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

"Yes ma'am," Hak said, with less than his usual enthusiasm. Slinging his lasgun over his shoulder, he regarded the Chimera. "So uh, what can I do?" he asked.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Lighthawk wrote:1715

"Yes ma'am," Hak said, with less than his usual enthusiasm. Slinging his lasgun over his shoulder, he regarded the Chimera. "So uh, what can I do?" he asked.
"We will perform track repair first. I will prepare the connection linkages, you will lift the track segments and hold them in place while I attach them."

Seating herself on the stool, she began to clean and prep the track linkages from the part hanging off the drive wheels on the Chimera. It would take time to clean it properly, and judging from the wear, she could skip steps thrity-three and thirty-four of standard track maintenance ritual 87.

After a few minutes of cleaning, she had all the track linkages cleaned, and ready for attachment. "Hak, hold this track segment, like this, until I tell you to stop."

(she attached the first segment)

"Hold the second track linkage." Calculating time and effort involved for the next step, she said, "Commissar, I will need an Ogryn for this next step."

(second segment attached)

When the Ogryn arrived, she explained, "I need you to hold up this track segment," pointing to the one attached to the tracks at the bottom. Lifting that segment to the exact position needed would involve lifting three other track segments as well, a feat that was beyond Hak's ability. "Hold it flat here," pointing to the spot needed, "while Hak pushes the top track segments so they meet. I will attach the linkage pin, and the tracks will be ready.

"From there, I will check the en-jinn."
Last edited by Coalition on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relativity Calculator
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

"Lirk, help her," Intias said.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

1720 - Lirk made a sweeping salute and ambled over to the Chimera. Peering down at the enginseer he asked, "Where you need help?" After listening carefully to Litila's instructions, he crouched and heaved the tread segments until the tech-priest completed her repair.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Hak did his best to follow the priestess's directions. It didn't seem all that complicated, on the surface of it anyway. He really didn't want to consider things any deeper than that either. Simple and easy were fine by him. He was a bit hesitant about things when Lirk joined in. Hak had nothing against ogryn, it was hard to have anything bad to say about fellows who were so devoted to the Emperor. That did not make it comfortable to be standing right by one of the huge brutes, sticking one's hands into machinery and hoping the giant didn't do something that would end with one's hands crushed. Ogryn might be nice and loyal, but that didn't make them any less stupid or clumsy.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Litila looked at Lirk and said, "Performance was within parameters. You may return to guard duty." Looking at Hak she said, "Your labor will be needed in the en-jinn's section. The starter needs to be examined, whil the casing will require time greater than what is available."

Moving around to the engine compartment, Litila began going over the starter, seeing what specifically was wrong.
Relativity Calculator