Thank God it ended when it did...

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

That works out fine but then ENT comes and screws things up as usual.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

sunnyside wrote:While the situation annoys me. What I think we might be better annoyed with is time travel.

In the origional timeline there were no borg firing at Zephram and all that. So the whole ENT episode wouldn't have happened.

First Contact made a new timeline. For all we know in the new timeline in "Q Who" they have heard of these Borg things, but it just doesn't change time enough that anyone notices when they come back at the end of First Contact.

I mean in all these time travel episodes things have to be a little different when they arrive back in the future. It's just that unless the Federation got wiped out or something they don't bother about it.

Actually that could have been an interesting episode idea. Have a couple minor crew members be different in the new timeline. The people in the origional timeline didn't exist in the universe they find themselves in. Or maybe it doesn't quite work that way.
Very good point. After all, we've already got hard evidence that the universe hopping Trek time travel involves has a habit of making people apparently pop into existence - Sela.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Time travel is to much of a mindfuck for me to think about. It is treated in different ways so is hard to tie down.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's why I like my alternate-universe theory. It can pretty much rationalise all the stupidity we see.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:That's why I like my alternate-universe theory. It can pretty much rationalise all the stupidity we see.
You mean chaos-theory, each decision causes a branch-line universe to appear sort of theory? I happen to be fond of that one myself, as it seems to explain more issues than most such ideas.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:
Rochey wrote:That's why I like my alternate-universe theory. It can pretty much rationalise all the stupidity we see.
You mean chaos-theory, each decision causes a branch-line universe to appear sort of theory? I happen to be fond of that one myself, as it seems to explain more issues than most such ideas.
String theory mandates the existance of alternate, branching universes, so yeah. I like that explanation as well.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I didn't realise there was an official name for such a theory, but yeah, that's how I see it. They aren't going back in time at all, merely to a different universe.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know if there is an official name, but that sure wasn't it. It's the official "what Mikey calls it" name.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Worst thing about time travel, what if you kill a blood relaTIVE BEFORE THEY HAVE KIDS?

OOps, caps lock... :oops:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:Worst thing about time travel, what if you kill a blood relaTIVE BEFORE THEY HAVE KIDS?
Ahh yes - the grandfather paradox. The most oft-quoted reason why time travel is probably impossible.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

stitch626 wrote:Worst thing about time travel, what if you kill a blood relaTIVE BEFORE THEY HAVE KIDS?

You wouldn't even need to kill them. What if your great-grandparents met because they accidentally bumped into each other on a crowded street, and you were travelling in time and walked in between them? Oops.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

*sings* "I'm my own grandpa..."
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well paradoxes can't happen therefore they won't happen even if you try to make them happen because that's just how things work.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If chaos theory isnt true time travel should be impossible.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well paradoxes can't happen therefore they won't happen even if you try to make them happen because that's just how things work.
Why can they not happen?