Borg vs KE (again)

Deep Space Nine
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Borg vs KE (again)

Post by Tyyr »

We regularly see people hit with phasers and get knocked backwards by them. Even shotguns and heavy machine guns don't have enough energy to toss a human backwards from a hit.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

We've also seen people "vaporized" by phasers, and to eliminate that many particles from existence would take way more energy than what a small arms weapon puts out.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:We regularly see people hit with phasers and get knocked backwards by them.
This is obviously not due to the impact of the beam itself, but probably some side effect of the chain reaction the beam induces in the target. If it were, then a) the weapon would be knocked out of the firer's hand and b) it would happen every time, not just occasionally.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I do mean the nav deflector, and bear in mind that a personal defensive one doesn't have to be nearly as powerful as one which stops impacts at FTL speeds. Anyway, the point was made that KE shields don't commonly exist - I just pointed out that they are ubiquitous.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:We've also seen people "vaporized" by phasers, and to eliminate that many particles from existence would take way more energy than what a small arms weapon puts out.
If they were vaporised the resulting cloud of superheated gas would kill everyone in the same room as the victim.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:We've also seen people "vaporized" by phasers, and to eliminate that many particles from existence would take way more energy than what a small arms weapon puts out.
If they were vaporised the resulting cloud of superheated gas would kill everyone in the same room as the victim.
Thats why I put the damned thing in quotes.

Its been called "vaporized" in the show. But no matter what is done, to remove that many molecules form existence would take more raw energy than any handheld projectile weapon we currently have.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've heard two explinations for the "vaporization" effect.

1. What the beam actually does is neutrilize what "holds the body together" on a molecular level, thus reverting the target to free flowing atoms.

2. Shift the target "out of continuim", whatever the hell that means.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mark wrote:I've heard two explinations for the "vaporization" effect.

1. What the beam actually does is neutrilize what "holds the body together" on a molecular level, thus reverting the target to free flowing atoms.

2. Shift the target "out of continuim", whatever the hell that means.
Both of which would take huge amounts of energy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Its been called "vaporized" in the show. But no matter what is done, to remove that many molecules form existence would take more raw energy than any handheld projectile weapon we currently have.
That would be true if phasers worked through direct energy transfer. They don't - they're a chain reaction. Ergo, there's no way of determining their power requirements from their effects.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:We regularly see people hit with phasers and get knocked backwards by them. Even shotguns and heavy machine guns don't have enough energy to toss a human backwards from a hit.
Take it you've never seen a man hit when the bullet doesn't just pass through the body. A 7.62mm round hitting a grown man in the chest plate will easily pick you up off your feet and send you back a few.
Mikey wrote:I do mean the nav deflector, and bear in mind that a personal defensive one doesn't have to be nearly as powerful as one which stops impacts at FTL speeds. Anyway, the point was made that KE shields don't commonly exist - I just pointed out that they are ubiquitous.
Ah, okay.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Its been called "vaporized" in the show. But no matter what is done, to remove that many molecules form existence would take more raw energy than any handheld projectile weapon we currently have.
That would be true if phasers worked through direct energy transfer. They don't - they're a chain reaction. Ergo, there's no way of determining their power requirements from their effects.
Aren't they called directed energy weapons at some point?

Anyway, for the breaking the force between molecules (option 1), that is not self sustaining, so directed energy would be needed.
For shifting out of this continuum (option 2), doing that for one molecule would take an enormous amount of energy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Both of which would take huge amounts of energy.
If it did, where do you think said energy would go, hmm? Magic itself away? If phasers acted through DET standing next to someone being shot with one would be akin to standing next to a nuke. This would be rather bad for your health.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tyyr wrote:We regularly see people hit with phasers and get knocked backwards by them. Even shotguns and heavy machine guns don't have enough energy to toss a human backwards from a hit.

I was hit with a .380 in the left/back of my torso. I was diving for cover at the time, and it had enough force to alter my "flight path". If it would have hit me center mass while on my feet, the concussive force would have easily been enough to stagger me, if not knock me off balance and off my feet.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tyyr wrote:We regularly see people hit with phasers and get knocked backwards by them.
This is obviously not due to the impact of the beam itself, but probably some side effect of the chain reaction the beam induces in the target. If it were, then a) the weapon would be knocked out of the firer's hand and b) it would happen every time, not just occasionally.
That's why they are primarily energy weapons. If a phaser did all that damage by firing a bullet if would toss the firer back as far as it does the target. Phasers don't, they're energy weapons. The knock back could be the result of the a portion of the persons clothes/body vaporizing and sending them backwards. In the end though enough energy is transferred to the target to cause an effect that knocks the target backwards. No man portable firearm can do that.

As for it not always happening, phasers have different power settings and in the end its a TV show.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Both of which would take huge amounts of energy.
If it did, where do you think said energy would go, hmm? Magic itself away? If phasers acted through DET standing next to someone being shot with one would be akin to standing next to a nuke. This would be rather bad for your health.
For 1) the energy would "disappear" because of being used to counter the energy holding the atoms together (strong and weak nuclear forces).
For 2) into the continuum that the matter went to.