What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You've all heard me say it before - the reason the Romulan ships showed up was twofold:

1) Show the hot new Romulan hot-rod cruisers.

2) Show the hot new Romulan commander.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:You've all heard me say it before - the reason the Romulan ships showed up was twofold:

1) Show the hot new Romulan hot-rod cruisers.

2) Show the hot new Romulan commander.
I like both of those things.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

With the Federation getting along with everyone that counts. The Klingons, Romulans, Cardassian, anyone think that the next 50 years is gonna be a really boring.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:With the Federation getting along with everyone that counts. The Klingons, Romulans, Cardassian, anyone think that the next 50 years is gonna be a really boring.
I think that's why Enterprise really indirectly brought in a new conflict told secondhand set in the future. The Federation had grown big, strong and powerful enough to elicit more insidious threats of a galactic nature rather than just a local one. Plus, its military strength grew to the point where people who sought to oppose it did so indirectly or in "asymmetrical warfare" fashion via timeline tampering than through direct confrontation.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:With the Federation getting along with everyone that counts. The Klingons, Romulans, Cardassian, anyone think that the next 50 years is gonna be a really boring.
Yeah, but I'd imagine the Borg would get a helluva surprise when they show back up...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

The Borg "should" be cognizant of the fact that the Federation has advanced technology from the future. Whether or not Starfleet is allowed to use it though, or just has to keep it locked up like a Terminator skeleton, is unknown.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm sure that policy would change pretty quick if 30 Borg Cubes showed up in the alpha quadrant.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I bet they have a dozen or so Defiant fully kitted out with the new weapons waiting for the Borg to show up.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Transphasics and tricobalts? Ouch.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

One Defiant kitted out like that could take out a dozen cubes.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Well remember at least one ship had managed to assimilate the armor technology prior to the Queen's destruction in Endgame. If they can blow up ships with or without the armor (or even have the ability to assimilate it after a few encounters with it) then that's a problem. :O
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Armour is armour. You can't find away through it like you can a shield. The only thing you can do it blow it up.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Well if I were Starfleet I am not sure I would WANT to use the ablative armor generator or transphasic torpedoes against the Borg. You are taking the chance they assimilate the technology. And then how will Federation ships defend against cubes with ablative armor generators and transphasic weaponry?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:Well if I were Starfleet I am not sure I would WANT to use the ablative armor generator or transphasic torpedoes against the Borg. You are taking the chance they assimilate the technology. And then how will Federation ships defend against cubes with ablative armor generators and transphasic weaponry?
The same thinking went into limiting use of the BAR during WW1. Our troops would've been better off with better equipment.

BAR
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But if you dont use it you will get assimilated anyway.

May as well use it but self destruct if your about to be captured.