Size of the Dominion

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think they knew it existed. They had the ability to go there, so it's likely that they at least made a visit or two.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

True. Maybe that's why they detest 'normal' space species so much.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

?
I never got the impresion that they detested other races. Just that they were very isolationist.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The whole wanting to purge our galaxy gives the impression they detest huminoids.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They seemed to want to eradicate all life in our galaxy just because the Borg intruded on their realm, so I figured they were a bit prejudiced against 'lower' life-forms. Didn't Kes say something along those lines? (It's been a number of years since I've seen the episode.)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos, haven't we gone over this topic at least twice?
And I believe both of them boiled down to you focussing on one quote, which can be interpreted several ways, to prove they were xenocidal.
They seemed to want to eradicate all life in our galaxy just because the Borg intruded on their realm, so I figured they were a bit prejudiced against 'lower' life-forms.
The only evidence that we have ever seen of them being xenocidal, is the one quote you mentioned. Keep in mind though, that quote can be interpreted as a simlpe threat, due to the context it was in.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It could also be simply the thoughts and feelings of that S8472 pilot that Kes tapped into, she didn't tap into the species as a whole and there's nothing to suggest that they were intending to widen the war to the entire galaxy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. It could simply be the pilot trying to freak her out. 8472 are telepathic, right?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Very true. They were later shown to be quite individual, so I guess maybe a few of them were with the fluidic space counterpart to the KKK.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that they already knew about the existance of our galaxy (quite probable), the fact that they waited for someone to attack them first is, in my opinion, excelent evidence that they were not on a xenocidal war against the denziens of this galaxy.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

or just outraged, that remorseless forces had invaded their realm and attempted to assimilate them
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Indeed. It could simply be the pilot trying to freak her out. 8472 are telepathic, right?
I believe they are, yes.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

or just outraged, that remorseless forces had invaded their realm and attempted to assimilate them
Or just engaging in a counter-attack on the enemies industrial facilities. It is a war.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

yes, we don't know what the Borg did, in fluidic space, but clearly it wasn't diplomatic or teen social networking, so clearly species 8472, or factions of it, would feel outraged beyond superlatives and would seek bloodied revenge, before the more reasonable elements of species 8472, would gain prominence and curb the influence of those elements.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Personally, I would've preferred that 'war' to go on for at least a few more episodes before the EMH magically enhanced the Borg nanoprobes. Seeing the Borg getting thoroughly trashed for once was quite exhilarating, especially since their usual mindless expansionist aggression triggered the war in the first place.