Dominion War Redux

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Dominion War Redux

Post by Teaos »

The core makes power by converting matter and antimatter into energy, to create 20kg of armour you would need to burn 20kg of M/AM, and thats assuming you get perfect conversion with no energy lose.

You need an equal amount of mass burned through the core to create that mass on the out side of the ship. Not to mention the fact that armour is made in a matter of seconds!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point. Score one for actualy thinking the matter through properly, eh?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:holographic energy absorbing material
:laughroll:

Seriously - the term "ablative" means that the armor so described vaporizes upon being struck, carrying off the energy of the attack in that vaporization. It's not a 'Trek application, or whatever - that's what the word means.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

To bad Starfleet engineers are dumb as stumps. A projected energy dampener would be great for deactivating shields on an enemy ship as well as it's phasers/disrupters. You don't NEED armor at that point. :twisted:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:To bad Starfleet engineers are dumb as stumps. A projected energy dampener would be great for deactivating shields on an enemy ship as well as it's phasers/disrupters. You don't NEED armor at that point. :twisted:
And we've seen such a projector... when?
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

From a Starfleet ship or in general? The first I don't recall, the second A LOT.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The comment referred to Starfleet, but to understand your point - "a lot?" There was the Breen weapon, and then...?

Remember we're talking about projecting such a field for use as a ship-to-ship weapon, not just the ability to create such a field.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If you can create such a field doesn't that sort indicate you can use it as a weapon? Sure, the Breen made one you can fire in a cute bolt at someone but the field that trapped the Promellian battlecruiser seemed to have worked pretty well. Sure, having a weapon you can shoot that can pull that trick is nice but even if it had to be stuck on a ship at the ranges they duke it out in Trek I don't see that being a huge drawback.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

We've seen energy dampeners screw up hand held weapons all the time right? It "dampens" (or suppresses) the energy from being released is what I'm guessing, so what I'm proposing is a scaled up version. It would be similar to the Breen EMP.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:If you can create such a field doesn't that sort indicate you can use it as a weapon? Sure, the Breen made one you can fire in a cute bolt at someone but the field that trapped the Promellian battlecruiser seemed to have worked pretty well. Sure, having a weapon you can shoot that can pull that trick is nice but even if it had to be stuck on a ship at the ranges they duke it out in Trek I don't see that being a huge drawback.
All true. All has nothing to do with the point. My comment referred specifically to projected such fields in the nature of a directed-energy weapon, which you said we've seen "a lot." I never said that the more static examples you mention aren't useful, only that they don't apply to the reference. It wasn't a value judgement of one over the other.
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote:We've seen energy dampeners screw up hand held weapons all the time right? It "dampens" (or suppresses) the energy from being released is what I'm guessing, so what I'm proposing is a scaled up version. It would be similar to the Breen EMP.
What were the relative sizes of the dampener field compared to the weapon? I.e. if a hand-sized weapon was dampened by a building sized generator, what size generator is needed to dampen a starship grade weapon?

At that point, which would be better, the dampener, or more regular weaponry?

(Not sure about the specific episodes that would have something like this, does anyone have series, episode names, and the examples from them?)
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

surely with the female changling in federation custody, the founders would not risk a war with the federation, after all they viewed odo as more important than the alpha quadrant and plenty of dialogue to suggest that the founders don't believe in individuality in that, each founder when in humanoid form, is still part of the whole, thus they have no reason to value the female founder any less than odo.
mikey, we saw an energy dampener on a ferengi d'kora in tng1: the last outpost, check the script, it was emitted from the rear of the marauder and reduced the galaxy class shields by 30%.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Granitehewer wrote:mikey, we saw an energy dampener on a ferengi d'kora in tng1: the last outpost, check the script, it was emitted from the rear of the marauder and reduced the galaxy class shields by 30%.
I thought that was just a directed-energy weapon. Didn't the actual loss of shipwide power turn out to be an effect of the T'Kon outpost?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It was - the Ferengi weapons themselves were described as "mostly electromagnetic".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.