Theory to why the Borg are unknowns until the 24th Century

Enterprise
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I keep hearing references. What is Gucci? Is it a brand named item (only brand name thing I have is Tylonal)?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:I keep hearing references. What is Gucci? Is it a brand named item (only brand name thing I have is Tylonal)?
Good on you, stitch!
:D
Gucci makes clothes, shoes, purses, etc. that are routinely priced in the thousands of dollars, even though they're no better in quality than much cheaper products. It's status-symbol posturing bullcrap. Along with Prada, Rolex, Rolls Royce, Hummers, Ferraris, and so forth.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, I like Porsches, but that's due to their (IMO) nice style.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Well, I like Porsches, but that's due to their (IMO) nice style.
They're usually quality machines as well, and rarely cost more than a hundred grand. The Ferraris are drastically overpriced, IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I try to do my part to force corporate darwinism by never paying more for an item just because of its name. I have a very plain car, very plain clothes, etc. I want things to be functional of course, so I won't scrimp over pennies to save money and get an inferior product, but buying a brand name, hell no.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, as are the "luxury" cars (Lexus come to mind).
I've seen luxury cars that are terrable and cost rediculous amounts.

I drive a Chevy Aveo, a nice little ~$11,000 hatchback, and I couln't be happier. Good gas milage. Not too bad looking. Drives very well.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:I try to do my part to force corporate darwinism by never paying more for an item just because of its name. I have a very plain car, very plain clothes, etc. I want things to be functional of course, so I won't scrimp over pennies to save money and get an inferior product, but buying a brand name, hell no.
Exactly. Quality is paramount (so that the damn things don't fall apart in a month), but spending extravagent amounts of money on things because of social posturing, or simply because you can, is a serious problem in our civilization, IMO.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Discout rack, wonderfull. :)
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:I try to do my part to force corporate darwinism by never paying more for an item just because of its name. I have a very plain car, very plain clothes, etc. I want things to be functional of course, so I won't scrimp over pennies to save money and get an inferior product, but buying a brand name, hell no.
Exactly. Quality is paramount (so that the damn things don't fall apart in a month), but spending extravagent amounts of money on things because of social posturing, or simply because you can, is a serious problem in our civilization, IMO.
The most common thing I see is cellphones. People buying a "chocolate" or a "razor" or whatever the hell the latest ones are called, always these chic little nonsense coffeehouse names. It's a damn cellphone. I don't need it to have IM chats with the guy I ordered my pizza from, or check if Macy's still has those slacks in stock. I use it to make calls and receive calls, and there's no need to pay 2 or 300 bucks for a fancier one.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Yeah, as are the "luxury" cars (Lexus come to mind).
I've seen luxury cars that are terrable and cost rediculous amounts.

I drive a Chevy Aveo, a nice little ~$11,000 hatchback, and I couln't be happier. Good gas milage. Not too bad looking. Drives very well.
Damn straight. That's a nice car. I've got a Saturn LW200 that I bought used from a relative for $9,000, gets about 25 mpg, and I could live in it should the need ever arise again. :wink:
Last edited by Tsukiyumi on Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah. Well, razors are garbage anyway. It was taken apart by hand in the third Bourne movie.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I tend to agree with you guys. My cell is an LG VX8100 - all the neat things I want, without the price tag and "cool" name of an EnV, Razr, or whatever. Someone mentioned Lexus - which is Japanese for "Let's see if we can make them pay an extra $8,000 for a Toyota."

I do have one weakness in that regard, though: Nautica. I love their clothes, although I usually wait until I find a killer sale at Macy's.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

As far as being blinged out with Jeweller and stuff I could win hands down if I wanted to. I just dont wear it much.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I have a used Samsung MM-A920 from Sprint, and I love it. A true multimedia phone I bought for $75 when at the time Radio Shack was selling it for $129.99. I can even watch TV on it, and I sometimes do, because I'm on Sprint's 3rd Party Plan, which is essentially their new Simply Everything Plan, but I only pay $20 per month, instead of $99. On top of that, I get $20 per month in download credit for songs, ringtones, wallpapers, applications, etc. The catch to all of that is you have to provide your own phone, or pay full price for one, which means instead of buying a new phone for $129.99 with a 2 year agreement, I'd have to pay the unactivated price of the phone, which on average, is around $300. If I ever got fired, I'd probably sell my phone on eBay and buy a prepaid phone, or just not tell Sprint I got fired.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm on Verzon Wireless, I pay $129/mo. for both my wife's line and mine - 1200 minutes/mo., free nights and weekends, no long distance or roaming, unlimited airtime and texts to other VZW users, 500 free texts/mo. to outside users. The LG VX8100 has an MP3 player, mobile web, e-mail, texts to land lines, camera and vid camera, and a 4G flash card. It's a little bulky, but the speakers are great.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer