What did we like

Enterprise
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: What did we like

Post by katefan »

I think a really good Enterprise story could have been one where Archer does something that inspires the Prime Directive. He commits and act of kindness that has repurcussions years later, and the story is told in Flashbacks from the perspective of a TNG character. Not in a holodeck manner, but perhaps Riker has led an away team to a dead world, one ravished by war. Within a dozen years of Archer giving the aliens something war broke out; perhaps a form of clean energy was perverted into a WMD and the bombs went flying.

It would not have to be Archer. Perhaps a Boomer captain gives the technology and Archer was in a position to stop them, but doesn't. It looks like a good deed, or a profitable trade on both sides.

I just would have preferred to see a Prime Directive episode that made sense rather than Archer making decisions based on laws that do not even exist yet.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think something like that could work. Have Archer come along and give a group of aliens advanced tech that should help them, only to have it backfire horribly and leading to catastrophy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

the season one episode where where the prime directive is mentioned is bloody aweful. I agree that a better one could really have been introduced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

No, no, no. The basic idea is good, but the concept of doing it via TNG-era flashbacks is horrible. This is Enterprise, not TNG, or DS9, or *shudders* Voyager - any such plot should be done solely within the confines of the series. That's one of the biggest problems with TATV.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always wanted to see that. I would have loved to have seen Enterprise do something like encounter a 20th century-equivalent society that was in a desperate situation, say running out of oil. They supply them fusion generators instead. A year later they come back and find the place devastated by a war that used fusion weapons. Kind of like that Voyager episode with the animatter power system.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I always wanted to see that. I would have loved to have seen Enterprise do something like encounter a 20th century-equivalent society that was in a desperate situation, say running out of oil. They supply them fusion generators instead. A year later they come back and find the place devastated by a war that used fusion weapons. Kind of like that Voyager episode with the animatter power system.
We got that in Friendship One IIRC, DQ aliens pick up an Earth probe containing the instructions to antimatter power and promptly destroy their biosphere. Bloody horrible episode though, the guy who plays PAris really can't act that well.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:We got that in Friendship One IIRC, DQ aliens pick up an Earth probe containing the instructions to antimatter power and promptly destroy their biosphere.
Not to mention the likes of A Piece of the Action and Patterns of Force which, though different in the specifics, have a strong PD-is-good slant to them. That would have been the biggest problem with a PD-foreshadowing episode of Enterprise - they've all been done before.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Not to mention the likes of A Piece of the Action and Patterns of Force which, though different in the specifics, have a strong PD-is-good slant to them. That would have been the biggest problem with a PD-foreshadowing episode of Enterprise - they've all been done before.
I recall A Piece Of The Action (Shatner missed his calling as a comic) but not Patterns Of Force. Frankly, the whole problem with all the ENT concepts was that they had been done better by another series or even another show. Hell Red Dwarf had all kinds of time travel episodes and every one of them was better then the Temporal Cold War nonsense.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:I recall A Piece Of The Action (Shatner missed his calling as a comic) but not Patterns Of Force.
Short version: Fed observer sees planet going down the tubes, remembers that Hitler did wonders for the German economy, so sets up a Nazi state with himself as the Fuhrer. Predictably it all went downhill, and Kirk had to sort the mess out. Striker's written up a good summary of it in his "From the beginning" thread in Books/Games/General.
Hell Red Dwarf had all kinds of time travel episodes and every one of them was better then the Temporal Cold War nonsense.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen much Red Dwarf. :( I do remember the JFK episode though. :lol:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Short version: Fed observer sees planet going down the tubes, remembers that Hitler did wonders for the German economy, so sets up a Nazi state with himself as the Fuhrer. Predictably it all went downhill, and Kirk had to sort the mess out. Striker's written up a good summary of it in his "From the beginning" thread in Books/Games/General.
Ohh yes, the John Gill episode. Another really good one.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much Red Dwarf. :( I do remember the JFK episode though. :lol:
If you have the extra cash, grab them off Amazon or Chapters.com. It's worth the money, one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever made.

Tikka to Ride, the first episode of Series VII is the one you refer to. For some reason I bawl at the end of it everytime, SPOILERS:right after JFK assassinates himself and disappears.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote: Short version: Fed observer sees planet going down the tubes, remembers that Hitler did wonders for the German economy, so sets up a Nazi state with himself as the Fuhrer. Predictably it all went downhill, and Kirk had to sort the mess out. Striker's written up a good summary of it in his "From the beginning" thread in Books/Games/General.
Hell Red Dwarf had all kinds of time travel episodes and every one of them was better then the Temporal Cold War nonsense.
Thank you. :) I'm glad you liked it. And I'd recommend red Dwarf. Got all eight series/seasons of it.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I can understand reservations about employing characters from another series, but the only way to see the long term effects of anything Archer did would have to be via flashbacks. Perhaps have all the fanboys wet their pants and use Sulu. :)

But some good points were raised, there were episodes in other series that showed the dangers of primitive cultures getting ahold of advanced technology they do not understand.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I always wanted to see that. I would have loved to have seen Enterprise do something like encounter a 20th century-equivalent society that was in a desperate situation, say running out of oil. They supply them fusion generators instead. A year later they come back and find the place devastated by a war that used fusion weapons. Kind of like that Voyager episode with the animatter power system.
Aye that would have been an awesome episode. Be even cooler if at the end of the episode they supply them everything appears nice and dandy. Then have them come back to it the following season and discover what a terrible mistake they made. Kind of like a two parter... with twenty episodes inbetween. And it'd be even better if they didn't learn that lesson right away and did something almost as bad again. Or the NX-02 ended up spreading a contagious disease that wiped out a civilization after they made contact with a primitive society then left.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Monroe wrote:
Aye that would have been an awesome episode. Be even cooler if at the end of the episode they supply them everything appears nice and dandy. Then have them come back to it the following season and discover what a terrible mistake they made. Kind of like a two parter... with twenty episodes inbetween. And it'd be even better if they didn't learn that lesson right away and did something almost as bad again. Or the NX-02 ended up spreading a contagious disease that wiped out a civilization after they made contact with a primitive society then left.
Didn't they *kind of* do this in the Voyager, season 7 episode "Friendship One"? The premise was kinda similar in that the Friendship One probe was sent out by immediately post-warp capable mankind with the best of intentions, sharing our collective knowledge etc. The probe was then eventually found centuries later and picked up by a distant civilisation but instead of what we intended, this society used it to effectively destroy themselves and use the knowledge for weapons etc. The very first recorded breach of the then non-existant prime-directive? :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the idea is that here is another instance of ENT failing to realize its potential as a prequel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer