Enterprise Ramblings

Enterprise
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Duskofdead wrote:
My "username" in multiplayer Star Trek: Bridge Commander was USS Athabaskan. I got DOZENS of chats/whispers from Canadians asking if I was Canadian or in the Canadian navy. Apparently they have a ship named the Athabaskan. Was a total coincidence though, I did some study on linguistic groups in college and just always thought the word "Athabaskan" was neat.
Athabaskan? Well the newest one is still in service.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: The two largest navies in the world are the US and the UK, look at the massive difference between the two.
Well considering how much we spend on the armed forces we better have the biggist Navy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Athabaskan? :?
Can't say I'm too fond of the name. What's it mean?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I could very well be wrong, but isn't it a northeastern Canadian/Alaskan ethnic/language group?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Athabaskan? :?
It's the name of a First Nations group in Canada. The four destroyers of the Iroquois class are commonly referred to as the Tribals thanks to them all being named after First Nations tribes. It's a tradition from WWII that we got from the Limeys.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, okay, thanks.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

About hull plating:
Polarized hull plating was a defensive technology that preceded shields. In a battle situation, electromagnetic power could be applied to the hull materials, making them several orders of magnitude harder. This technology was used on starships of the Earth Starfleet such as the NX-class in the 22nd century. Unlike shields, polarization cannot be amplified to reinforce a specific direction. The amount of polarization on the ventral sections of the ship is the equal on the dorsal. (Star Trek: Enterprise)

During the months the Enterprise was in the Delphic Expanse, polarization technology back on Earth had been improved by 12%. (ENT: "Home")

Polarizing a hull on a 24th century starship can be used as a method of disrupting a tractor beam or masking a starship's approach. (DS9: "In Purgatory's Shadow"; VOY: "Equinox, Part II").

The fictional technology derives from late 20th century discoveries in the real world of ceramics which become harder when an electrical current passes through them.
Retrieved from "http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Polarized_hull_plating"
Well, at least we know what it does now.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:Athabaskan? :?
Athabaskan is a linguistic group of Native Americans kinda covering a swath through the middle of Canada and the central Northern U.S. I suppose it's also probably used as a way to refer to Athabaskan cultures and regions.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, okay, thanks. :)