Funny pics

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Funny pics

Post by IanKennedy »

For the same reason we are legally only allows to sell beer in 1/2 or 1/3 pint multiples. History.

It’s also why when it’s hot we say wow it’s 80 degrees out and when it’s cold 0. In other words cold is in centigrade and warm is in Fahrenheit.

It would cost a fortune to relabel the roads.
email, ergo spam
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

thirty-year plan to go over to metric.

New roads built with both labelled. older signs slowly replaced with, at first, "_ MPH, with KPH listed below. (Slightly different text color?). Eventually, remove the mph signs after ten years of both being signed country-wide.

There you go. The post-changeover signage would still have 'kph' to ensure you know the diff, and newer cars from that point on can have the KPH emphasised more than mph.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I have never used Fahrenheit at any point, I always use Celsius.

Weirdly, whilst I use miles as a distance reference in general talk, with my own personal created universe I always use kilometres and never miles.

I am still attempting to use metres and kilograms for height and mass for myself, as I grew up with feet and stone. Again, my universe uses the metric system, but my worksheets include calculators I added to them.

Even though a lot of milk here is now done in litres, I still order a 2-litre jug and register it in my brain as 4-pints, when it is actually around 3.52. Thus I just order what I thought was 12 pints with my delivery and actually got around 10.5 pints.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:42 pm I have never used Fahrenheit at any point, I always use Celsius.

Weirdly, whilst I use miles as a distance reference in general talk, with my own personal created universe I always use kilometres and never miles.

I am still attempting to use metres and kilograms for height and mass for myself, as I grew up with feet and stone. Again, my universe uses the metric system, but my worksheets include calculators I added to them.

Even though a lot of milk here is now done in litres, I still order a 2-litre jug and register it in my brain as 4-pints, when it is actually around 3.52. Thus I just order what I thought was 12 pints with my delivery and actually got around 10.5 pints.
Americans are very much the same way. Grew up with miles, inches, pounds, and Fahrenheit. Americans are certainly aware of the advantages of the metric system.

But it's how we are used to viewing the world. When it comes to height of a person, we do it in terms of feet increments and inches for finer measurements. Same goes for pounds. Saying I weigh about 100 kilograms is OK, but technically I weigh 221 pounds.

Fahrenheit is the big thing. Americans are so used to that measurement due to we know what weather we are comfortable in. 100 degrees or more is hot as hell. 90 is hot but manageable. 80 is very warm. 70 is nice and comfortable. 60 is great sleeping weather. 50 you need a jacket. 40 you need a heavier jacket and 30 is where you see snow. It's all in incriments of 10s.

Americans have no idea what a stone is. And after working on a Beechcraft Hawker 800, I am still confused on British standard 9/16" vs. The 9/16" Americans use.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We're going metric inch by inch.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Seafort wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 pm We're going metric inch by inch.
:laughroll: :laughroll:
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I am 5'7" and 15 stone. I don't even use pounds, I just use stone in quarter increments. My dietitian kept telling me my weight in kilograms, and I was just oblivious.

I know my height is 1.7 metres now, but I still continue to use feet and inches, except with my universe.

I have just never figured the whole Fahrenheit thing, every time someone says it's 80 degrees or whatnot I just think, should we be like crispy bacon or something?

There are 14 pounds to the stone, I always used to get that confused due to the 16 ounces to the pound.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

... Makes me wonder, did we use to have currency like in Harry Potter (It's... what knuts to a sickle to a galleon?).

... Oh. Right. Shillings.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

My Mum still bangs on about how decimalisation was a con, because they would convert things badly doubling prices all over the place, thus her pocket money that was previously enough for a Sherbert was now not enough, and her parents were forced to double her pocket money to 3p a day.

However, that was 3p more than I ever got, so she should consider herself lucky, ha. I worked from 11.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

And now, you can't even go into a shop and get a single haribo "cola bottle" for a penny.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Is there even such a thing as penny sweets now?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

unless there'a undred of the things in a £1 bag of sweets... No.

Though questionable on the subject of cheap market-square stall sweet vendors' pick and mix.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence