USB drive help

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

USB drive help

Post by stitch626 »

Got a nice 16GB flash drive to replace an old 4GB one.

It worked fine for about 15 seconds. For some reason when I was copying a few files over to it, it disconnected (virtually, not physically)from my computer. Now I can't do anything with it.

When I plug it in, it shows up in My Computer, with about 1GB of space taken up (the amount that copied before everything went to hell).
As it does this, the message shows up about it not being unplugged properly, and asks if I want Windows to fix it.
I click yes and it brings up the default system checker program. Click scan. The Start button grays out as it usually would, but the scan doesn't start. After 3 hours of waiting it would not start. Takes about a minute for the scan to cancel (after several messages saying it can't cancel).

When I go to scan it using a drive partition and management program (Acronis Disk Director), the program crashes after scanning the flash drive (runs fine on a nearly identical flash drive that my dad uses).

When I try to open it to see the files, Windows Explorer crashes.

When I try to format it (Windows Default), the formatter follows the same pattern as the error checker. Start button grays out as usual, and nothing else happens.

So... does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try?

Edit: after each of the above fails, when attempting any of them a message pops up saying access denied, with either "no permissions" or "device in use".
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB drive help

Post by IanKennedy »

Where did you buy it, eBay perhaps? It could be a con job. Certain people in China get 1GB drives and label them as 16GB drives. They they fiddle the formatting to make the computer think it's a 16GB drive. Problem is when you try and use it everything goes wrong. Alternatively, you could just have a bad drive.
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Bought from NewEgg. Its an ADATA USB 3.0.

Bad drive would be rather upsetting... but returnable for now.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Bought from NewEgg. Its an ADATA USB 3.0.

I've had problems with ADATA SD cards before. Apparently a set of fake cards got into the supply chain. My supplier accepted the card back and explained the issue.
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Coincidentally, I also got an ADATA USB 3.0 16 GB drive from Newegg. Thankfully, I've had no issues with it. I'd test the drive on another computer before losing all hope but it seems likely that it is indeed a bad drive you got there.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:

Coincidentally, I also got an ADATA USB 3.0 16 GB drive from Newegg. Thankfully, I've had no issues with it. I'd test the drive on another computer before losing all hope but it seems likely that it is indeed a bad drive you got there.
Yeah... reacts the same on different computers. Oh well.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

While it was only 4G, I found a Boba Fett-shaped USB drive at Walgreen's the other day. Obviously, that is now the only USB drive I can ever use... ever.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:While it was only 4G, I found a Boba Fett-shaped USB drive at Walgreen's the other day. Obviously, that is now the only USB drive I can ever use... ever.
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

How about this then:

email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »