Need help.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Need help.

Post by McAvoy »

My computer lately is having trouble starting up. I don't mean when you log on and Vista takes 15 minutes before you can even do anything. I mean when you turn the computer on, it shows the HP logo and then the Windows logo. It takes forever, sometimes freezing up.

Anyone know why it's doing this?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Need help.

Post by Nickswitz »

How old is it? Also what antivirus do you have on it?
What is the laptop model number also?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Bought it in April 2009. It is a HP dv7-1285. It has Kaspersky.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

-cough- Vista -cough-
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

McAvoy wrote:My computer lately is having trouble starting up. I don't mean when you log on and Vista takes 15 minutes before you can even do anything. I mean when you turn the computer on, it shows the HP logo and then the Windows logo. It takes forever, sometimes freezing up.

Anyone know why it's doing this?
Is it slow only once it gets to the Windows logo (past the HP logo), or is it having trouble before Windows starts to load (does the HP logo take a long time to clear)? If it's the former, a problem with Windows is the likely culprit but if it's affecting the computer even before the OS loads then the most likely culprit is a failing hard drive.

As to Windows being slow to become usable after logging on, that usually indicates you have too many programs loading automatically at Windows startup unnecessarily. This can easily be fixed:

click the Start button/Windows orb, in the search box type in "msconfig", and click OK to any security warnings, in the dialog box that appears go to the "startup" tab and un-select whatever you don't need or want to launch at Windows startup. It will ask you to restart once you click 'Apply' then 'OK', though you can click "exit without restart" to continue using the computer. Either way you should see Windows load to a usable state much more quickly on future boot-u.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well some reason it fixed itself. No problems in the past week.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my primary hard drive with a larger capacity one and since I am doing having Windows 7 installed. But the size of my hard drive bay will only allow me to go up to 640 GB (9.5mm thickness). Before anyone asks me why I need that much space is because I don't like carrying seven DVD cases with me on a ship. Takes up too much space. Burning the DVDs onto my hard drive saves physical space.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

McAvoy wrote:Well some reason it fixed itself. No problems in the past week.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my primary hard drive with a larger capacity one and since I am doing having Windows 7 installed. But the size of my hard drive bay will only allow me to go up to 640 GB (9.5mm thickness). Before anyone asks me why I need that much space is because I don't like carrying seven DVD cases with me on a ship. Takes up too much space. Burning the DVDs onto my hard drive saves physical space.
640 GB can fill up pretty quickly when you start putting high resolution video files on there.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Externals.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I have a 1TB that fits in my pocket.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, I have a 1TB that fits in my pocket.
Insert your own: "Is that a hard drive in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" or "MY what a large hard drive you have" joke here...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, I have a 1TB that fits in my pocket.
Yeah I got three of them. One of them got damaged so probably more like two of them. Both are Seagate.

Let's see here: I got 100 GB free on my primary hard drive. I got 100 GB free on the secondary hard drive. It's filled with documentaries, like History Channel, Discovery Channel and National Geographic.

The first external has all the movies and about 120 GB worth of BBC documentaries. The second hard drive has 90 GB left on it filled with various TV series.

Now the other thing why I want new hard drives in the laptop is that when you are on a ship you don't have access to a outlet all the time. So you have to run the laptop on battery power. Now my laptop can run for a little over 3 hours. But when watching a movie in your rack (bunk) you can't have a external connected all the time.