What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Tyyr »

I can't give any better advice than Mark or Big. You can't put your life on hold over this. Especially if your mother doesn't want the help. She'll wind up resenting you for it and probably you her for giving up your life for a time and her having that kind of reaction to it. On top of that with your sisters giving you zero help...

Offer to help what you can and carry through on it.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thanks guys.

I had a glimmer of an idea, but no clue if it'll pan out or not. I'm researching drug treatment centers for seniors, as a potential place to start.

If she doesn't stop with the pills, everything else is irrelivant. Don't ask me how she hasn't destroyed her liver or kidneys yet.

But almost everything I think of requires money. In a state where a gallon of milk is as high as $7, bread $4.50, and eggs like $3, and $10 an hour a standard wage, it's damned hard to put together any kind of savings, with which to even pay a partial fee on any facility she may have to go.

What pisses me off is sister number three makes six figures (granted, her husbend makes most of it) but have no intention of paying for squat.

I was up most of the night spinning last night, and am running on like four hours sleep. I wonder if this is what an anxiety attack feels like?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Do you have any kind of relationship with sister #3's husband that you might be able to end run her over this?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it's election time here in Ireland. Given the massive and completely justified levels of hatred being directed at Fianna Fáil, the current majority party, it'll be interesting to see how the results of this will go. I for one am predicting a Fine Gael/Labour coalition, even though the idea of "Prime Minister Enda Kenny" makes me groan.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Out of that whole post, I think I understood "Gael, Labor," and "Prime Minister."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Well, it's election time here in Ireland. Given the massive and completely justified levels of hatred being directed at Fianna Fáil, the current majority party, it'll be interesting to see how the results of this will go. I for one am predicting a Fine Gael/Labour coalition, even though the idea of "Prime Minister Enda Kenny" makes me groan.
Well i did my bit towards getting the bastards out :madashell:

Though I'd prefer a firing squad for em :uzi:
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Mikey wrote:Out of that whole post, I think I understood "Gael, Labor," and "Prime Minister."
Seriously?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Condan1993 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Out of that whole post, I think I understood "Gael, Labor," and "Prime Minister."
Seriously?
No, not seriously. I'm actually coming along quite nicely with comprehending my native language. I confess, however, to being pretty out-of-touch with the political situation in the Republic of Ireland.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wait, what does 'election' mean? ;)

Home sick and it's snowing. Excuse me. I have a flamethrower to light. :plasmacannon:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Well, it's election time here in Ireland. Given the massive and completely justified levels of hatred being directed at Fianna Fáil, the current majority party, it'll be interesting to see how the results of this will go.
IIRC, Adams is standing in your elections this time. Has he been getting much coverage?
the idea of "Prime Minister Enda Kenny" makes me groan.
I can imagine. A slight mispronunciation and you've got a satirist's dream. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:IIRC, Adams is standing in your elections this time. Has he been getting much coverage?
Do you mean Gerry Adams? Is he (or Sinn Fein) still an issue over there?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Do you mean Gerry Adams? Is he (or Sinn Fein) still an issue over there?
I don't know what the Republic's attitude is (or NI's for that matter) but for me that bastard will always be an issue. I grew up in the UK in 90s, which meant an IRA attack (successful or unsuccessful) at least once a week, and Adams' words dubbed "for security reasons" until after the Good Friday agreement (no idea why). Those memories will always shape my outlook. It certainly doesn't help that Adams and McGuinness (and, I believe, one or two others) are the closest we have to "MP-elect" - they've been elected to seats in Westminster, but they'll never take them up, because doing so would require swearing allegiance to the Crown.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Understood, but that's not what I meant. Obviously, growing up with the outfall of his activities will always be an "issue;" but what I meant was to ask if he is still relevant (especially in the Republic.)
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I don't know about the Republic, but SF is certainly an issue in NI, given that they're the second biggest party in the province, and McGuinness is Deputy First Minister. Adams seems to have faded away in terms of public awareness in the last few years, which is probably why he's headed south.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I don't know about the Republic, but SF is certainly an issue in NI, given that they're the second biggest party in the province, and McGuinness is Deputy First Minister. Adams seems to have faded away in terms of public awareness in the last few years, which is probably why he's headed south.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of Sinn Fein's continued prominence in politics, and I find it somewhat intriguing - not to mention ironic - that Sinn Fein seems to have outgrown Gerry Adams.
as Bull offed Custer