Size Comparison of my ships

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Not so sure - haven't they just developed anti-matter and were using fusion reactions for most of those ships?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Every ship from the Amzarg (2730) onwards uses M/AM power generation and weapons. I'm not sure what the yield of those guns is, but the larger ones are bigger than a GCS on their own, and so they could probably one-shot any Fed ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Plus, we're talking about effective ranges where time is a factor!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The only big advantage the Feds have is agility.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I haven't often gone into the technology in detail, but by 3000 the ships are powered by total conversion power systems (not M/AM) - but these feed into a zero point energy booster which basically multiplies the output.

The power system and the normal weapons are completely separate; the weapons are NOT fed by the power system, nor can the Matter/Antimatter used in the weapons be used to power the engines.

The exception is the planetbuster cannon; the ZPE tech is there because I needed very high energy levels in the engines; that's because the planetbuster weapons are basically a giant great battery that plugs into the engine's power systems; store up a few hours worth of maximum power output, then just let it go in one big blast.

But I didn't want that level of firepower around for normal combat. Hence the planetbuster cannon is so huge and unwieldy that it's only good against big stationary targets at short range. They were also used to end the Tain war, which was considered to be justified at the time but very controversial afterwards; as a result the cannon are rarely carried on normal missions. In this time and place they are basically what nuclear weapons are today; ultimate weapons of last resort that are virtually unuseable unless your very existence is threatened.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...