Starfleet Command

Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Starfleet Command

Post by Enkidu »

Anybody here played the now rather old Starfleet Command games?
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

i have the third one.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I played the first and third ones, but I find Bridge Commander to be superior in most aspects.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

I agree, but BC is very buggy.. however the kobayashi maru mod, makes it soooo fun. ^^
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's really buggy once you start screwing around with the code and making your own ships and weapons. :wink:

And I think the kobyashi maru mod is the way the game should've shipped. It rocks.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

STC- i love the Hydrans, but found the game too slow in its mechanics to hold my flitting attention
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I have the second one, (and the expansion pack) and the third one. For those unfamiliar with them, the second one, set in the TOS Movie Era has a very involved combat system based around an old PNP wargame. There are a number of races, both canon, semi-canon, and those from it's PNP ancestor, with very different styles of play. The third one came out (rushed out) about the time of Nemesis and is set in that era. It dumbed down the game mechanics a lot and seems half finished, with only a handful of random mission types, and very few random ships beyond the mere four playable races. (I believe the standard US version shipped with just three.) It is however, (and it needs to be) mod friendly, with a fairly active community.
I wish with hindsight I'd bought Bridge Commander. The community seems to be doing a very good job at keeping it current.
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

Bridge commander is a blast. but it only becomes epic, once you get the KBYMRU mod for it, however some of the ships are vastly overpowered in the mod.

The Prometheus class, is like near impossible to beat, and the Neghvar can cripple any ship with a few good shots from it's main disrupters.. the dominion ships are fun though: :D
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Azrael wrote:Bridge commander is a blast. but it only becomes epic, once you get the KBYMRU mod for it, however some of the ships are vastly overpowered in the mod.

The Prometheus class, is like near impossible to beat, and the Neghvar can cripple any ship with a few good shots from it's main disrupters.. the dominion ships are fun though: :D
you can also play as Stargate Ships on the game.