ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Post by Lazar »

IanKennedy wrote:800 saved including Kirk, means 799 crew saved. Plus 1 captain lost, 1 George Kirk lost, 1 woman blown out into space = 802 crew minimum.
Pike could have been rounding though. In any case, I had the impression in my mind (purely conjectural) that many of the 800 were civilians, what with pregnant women on board.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

But he didn't say anything that would typically indicate that he was rounding. Like saying "over 800", or "nearly 800". It was just 800. Plus, as I say there were others seen at least injured so it could be more. Also, what would it matter if they were civilians or crew, we were talking about how large the ship was, using the "crew" to give an estimate of it's size.
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We don't know that there were any civilians on board. Kirk's mother could just have been a crewer that got pregnant while on board. oTOS Trek never had any civilians on the ship, so until I see otherwise I'm going to go with the assumption that nTOS Trek is the same.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:We don't know that there were any civilians on board. Kirk's mother could just have been a crewer that got pregnant while on board. oTOS Trek never had any civilians on the ship, so until I see otherwise I'm going to go with the assumption that nTOS Trek is the same.
Actually it did.... :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It did?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sorta.

It was originally envisaged that the ship would carry civilians. The idea was dropped for the main series, but take a peek at this, 9:25 in.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Sorta.

It was originally envisaged that the ship would carry civilians. The idea was dropped for the main series, but take a peek at this, 9:25 in.
You mean the folks wandering around in civvies? I always assumed they were off-duty.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nope. They were put there as civilians.

A lot of the things people around here don't like about TNG was supposed to be in TOS but got dropped for one reason or another. TNG was more than once referred to as the Star Trek that Gene had always wanted to make.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And then Picard went and bitched about having kids and civilians aboard his ship.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Nope. They were put there as civilians.

A lot of the things people around here don't like about TNG was supposed to be in TOS but got dropped for one reason or another. TNG was more than once referred to as the Star Trek that Gene had always wanted to make.
Do you have anything on that?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Don't remember where I read it
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was never canonicaly stated, so I can happily assume that they were just off-duty and go on living in my belief that TOS was the era of competance. :P
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mrs. Kirk was in Starfleet. From the writers.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It's been a while since I saw The Cage, but that line about a woman on the bridge made me cringe. Geez, the world has come a long way in a few decades.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.