Aazat Class Gunship

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aazat Class Gunship

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Aazat class gunship is designed for use during planetary conflicts, where it functions in support of ground forces. The small two man craft is equipped with a fusion plant which powers four toroidal repellor engines. Maximum acceleration is 50 gees in the clean configuration. In a standard environment the maximum speed at low level is Mach 4. The craft is not designed for deep space operation, but is capable of making planetfall from orbit and returning to orbit again. It is rated to operate in hostile environments and is resistant to a wide range of corrosives, pressures and temperatures.

The Aazat carries a twin heavy duty plasma cannon under the nose; this unit can swivel +/- 110 degrees, elevate 20, and depress 45. It is fed plasma from the fusion tanks, and each weapon can fire five rounds per second. Maximum effective range is 15,000 metres.

Pylons provide four 2,500 kg hardpoints. A wide range of weapons can be carried; 30 mm plasma rockets are a common choice, as are Antara missiles. Targeting information is provided through a sensor pod above the fuselage which is mounted on an extendable mount, allowing the gunship to hover behind cover whilst exposing only the sensor. The Aazat is armoured in all key areas, and can augment this with forcefields when needed.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Aazat Class Gunship

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nice. Distinctly reminiscent of the Mule, but much more Apache-esque, fitting its role.

What sort of firepower does it have?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I haven't really thought it through yet in detail, but oodles and oodles. This is tech OF THE FUTURE, after all! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Can't be too great though - no point in capturing a planet if it looks like a sieve afterwards.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It can still be pretty strong, they just have to hold back.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well I'll hold it back to the ability to destroy only one continent... maybe two, okay? :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty cool. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Is this a bellysitter or does it have landing gear? If it doesn't have it, the chin turret may seem to be just too low.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It has landing gear.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mule? I would have called it the Cobra... OF THE FUTURE!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

This isn't the Mule - this is. The Coalition equivalent of the Black Hawk.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah. You were referring to Graham's own design. I'm on board now.
as Bull offed Custer
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

A very interesting design, but given the coalitions general level of technological might, I can't really see great use for this unless there wasn't any orbital support -- saying that only because you say its designed to support ground forces and not achieve air superiority.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well you have to understand that the vast majority of naval weaponry couldn't be used on a planet unless you were not at all bothered about holding that planet afterwards, or at least unless you were willing to engage in a long and expensive effort to clean it up afterwards.

Heavy battleship cannon run to more than 10^22 Joules per round. That's in the same ballpark as a dinosaur killer asteroid impact. The Mark 5s and 6s that Destroyers typically carry run about a hundred times less than that, and even the little Mark 2s they use for fighter defence run at about 1.8 gigatons per round. They can adjust the yield of these things, but not in infinite increments. And even with a Mark 2 at 0.1% power, what good is a 1.8 Megaton detonation for close air support?

There are ships which are designed specifically to provide surface bombardment to troops on the ground, surface bombardment units they're called (imaginative name, huh?). They use large numbers of low energy weaponry; plasma weapons usually, and large silos with lots of missiles in them. And some amphibious types have such bombardment cannon as well, so orbital bombardment is done. But the likes of an Aazat is damn cheap compared to an SBU.

There's also an inter-service rivalry thing to consider. Marines and paratroops don't operate Naval ships like SBUs or even amphibious units. And they don't like having to rely on the Navy for all of their fire support needs.

Of course you don't need any of that if all you want to do is annihilate the enemy; a few broadsides from a battleship will render any planet largely lifeless, and a planetbuster cannon which can be fitted to any battleship will destroy the planet completely, if you want to engage in what are usually rather pointless theatrics.

But war isn't often about wiping out the enemy en masse. That is sometimes done - the Coalition once did it, rather controversially - but it's usually overkill, to put it mildly. Suppose an enemy captures one of your planets for example; you have to retake it, but you can't exactly go and wipe out all life on there and declare victory.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:it's usually overkill
Considering that this is in reference to "too much killing," I'd say that's an appropriate term. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer