Blue Peter Tardis Console competition

colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Blue Peter Tardis Console competition

Post by colmquinn »

Blue Peter (a childrens tv show in uk) has competition to design a new console for thetardis!
Blue Peter Tardis Console competition launched

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for one Blue Peter viewer to design a Tardis console for the Doctor to use. The winning design will be made and seen in an episode of the next series starring the brand new Doctor - Matt Smith!
What do I do?

* Print out the template and use this to help you design your console
* If you'd rather, you can draw your design on A4 paper, but make sure you include both top and side views.
* The console is the bit in the middle of the Tardis where the Doctor has all his controls.
* You can include notes which tell us about the features of your design.
* Did you know, all consoles have six sides, so make sure you include all six panels on your design.
* There is no word limit and you can use any art method you'd like, such as pencils / paint / computer design etc. However please don't stick anything to your design.
* You need to use stuff you would find around the house in your design - things like light bulbs and teapots!

Entries will be judged in three different age categories:

* 6 and 7s
* 8, 9, 10
* 11 and 12s

The closing date is 2 November 2009 at 5pm. The ultimate winner will be chosen by Matt Smith.
Now I know the show is going to be catering for the younger demographic :madashell:

Link
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blue Peter Tardis Console competition

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They've done this kind of thing before. A previous kid's competition on the same program resulted in an alien design that was used in the show, the Absorbalov from Love and Monsters.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And look at the fuckup that episode turned out to be. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Perhaps so, but still, it's not like this represents some major turn in the show's course. And if anything a console design is going to have far less of an effect on the episode than the antagonist, so if anything this marks a reduction in the influence of the kids.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Didn't Doctor Who start out as an educational show for kids, or something like that?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Doctor Who has always been a kid's show - it simply happens to be a bloody good one and, more importantly, a long-lasting one that has become a national institution. By the time the original run ended, it's target audience was probably the children of the original target audience (who were probably still watching in many cases).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Really? I never got that vibe when I was hunting for UHF broadcasts of the John Pertwee eps. 'Course, I was a teenager...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

GrahamKennedy wrote:They've done this kind of thing before. A previous kid's competition on the same program resulted in an alien design that was used in the show, the Absorbalov from Love and Monsters.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Captain Seafort wrote:And look at the f****p that episode turned out to be. :roll:
Is it Q and the Grey bad or just a wesley ep bad?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The original idea for the show was that it was basically an educational documentary series. The point of the Doctor was to go to a different era each week so the kids could learn about how people lived back then. The whole educational aspect was dropped practically from day one, though.

It's not a "kids show" as such in the way that Power Rangers is, say. It's more classed as "family viewing", something parents can watch with their kids. Star Trek is classed in much the same way, actually.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

colmquinn wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:And look at the f****p that episode turned out to be. :roll:
Is it Q and the Grey bad or just a wesley ep bad?
Not quite "Q and the Grey" bad, but a lot worse than your average Wesley ep. Typical Neelix ep maybe.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The original idea for the show was that it was basically an educational documentary series. The point of the Doctor was to go to a different era each week so the kids could learn about how people lived back then. The whole educational aspect was dropped practically from day one, though.

It's not a "kids show" as such in the way that Power Rangers is, say. It's more classed as "family viewing", something parents can watch with their kids. Star Trek is classed in much the same way, actually.
Aye, modern DW is clearly designed to appeal not just to younger viewers, but also to adults. Just watch Blink if you doubt that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"