A Calm And Civil Discussion About Perceptions Of Humour

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Darmok Question

Post by Reliant121 »

If we don't deserve you, leave. Frankly, I doubt many of us really give a damn.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Reliant121 wrote:If we don't deserve you, leave. Frankly, I doubt many of us really give a damn.

I never said you did...Nor do I care, I was simply stating that being an asshole is seldom necessary and DEFINITELY not necessary here, and in making that statement, I was showing those who are being assholes, that they are indeed, being assholes.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I hate to say it, but I think you may have to let your skin get a little thicker. People discuss things on fora, including this one, even in negative terms. I myself wouldn't post anything on here that I didn't want anyone else to read and then comment on, because that's what people do on fora. Obversely, it's only common sense to expect commentary on what you post in a forum.

In a related vein... chill out. I didn't think your joke was funny at all, but that doesn't mean I think that you're a bad person. All it means is... that I didn't think the joke was funny. In like manner, Tyyr didn't say, "I hate Victory is Life," or "Victory is Life is responsible for the Holocaust," or "Victory is Life kills Christian babies in the night," or anything like that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: A Calm And Civil Discussion About Perceptions Of Humour

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thread split from "Darmok Question".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Just my two cents, Victory: your battered housewife joke was in really poor taste in that context.

And not funny.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Just my two cents, Victory: your battered housewife joke was in really poor taste in that context.

And not funny.

Really?!?! I've got a million of 'em! You don't want to hear? They are great fun at parties...

link removed - Mikey

Clearly joking by the way....I think it's a horrible blight on society...But if we can't be all 'sweetness and light' once in a while about even the most egregious and heinous things, we would die of a seriousness overdose...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Another thread locked.

Victory, here's a bit of advice for you: when a mod tells you a joke is in really poor taste, that means don't repeat that joke or variations of it. This goes double for when you're already on thin ice, which you are right now.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.