A Calm And Civil Discussion About Perceptions Of Humour

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

A Calm And Civil Discussion About Perceptions Of Humour

Post by Victory is Life »

Mikey wrote:True, and what we saw from the Tamarians was also things like transport blocking fields, etc. The fact of being on par with the UFP technologically does NOT necessarily imply have the same type of technology.
Shaka, when the walls fell...

Thread originaly split from here.
[SG]
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Darmok Question

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, see, the thing is... on this forum we still use English. Could you clarify your intent?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:Yeah, see, the thing is... on this forum we still use English. Could you clarify your intent?

What's with your hard on for me today, buddy? why don't you take some PMS meds and chill the eff out.

and about the necroing of the threads, It was mentioned that if I had a valid point that wasn't mentioned, that I could still weigh in. It seems pretty stupid to create a new thread about the same subjact as a thread that is still up and running on the main screen. Simple logic. Now kindly step off.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Victory is Life wrote:What's with your hard on for me today, buddy? why don't you take some PMS meds and chill the eff out.
:lol: Don't flatter yourself, I only have eyes for one woman. If I had it in for you, believe me you'd know it. If I can't figure out what you mean because your comment is wrapped in some obscure attempt at humor with no real content, you can't fault me for it.
Victory is Life wrote:and about the necroing of the threads, It was mentioned that if I had a valid point that wasn't mentioned, that I could still weigh in. It seems pretty stupid to create a new thread about the same subjact as a thread that is still up and running on the main screen. Simple logic. Now kindly step off.
#1 - I will not step off; I have no reason to do so, and every reason not to do so. If I mentioned anything indicating the fact that I had some grudge against you, or disliked you for any (or no) particular reason, then fine; but I haven't, and I don't. It is my responsibility here to make the forum a friendly, happy place for as many people as possible, and it's one I take seriously as it was entrusted to me by a couple of men who devoted a lot of blood, sweat, and their own money to this site and this forum. Further, if you'll look back on the moderator history of this forum, even that involving you, yuou will see that this forum has one of the - if not the - most laid-back group of moderators in the hisotry of the interweb. I made a simple request, reiterating where I saw the same issue duplicated. There was no threat, no warning, no foreshadowing of future action, no nothing. It was just a request made by one of the people whose job it is to make this place run smoothly for everyone, not just for Mikey or for Victory is Life.

#2 - Your "simple logic" is flawed. The whole purpose of a post is for other people to see it and be able to read its intent and comment intelligently. When you necro a thread dead that long what you are doing is tantamount to starting a conversation in the middle, with no antecedent, and expecting everyone else to magically know the background from which your commentary stems. It is much fairer to ask you to just start a new thread and outline your thought than it is to ask everyone to go back six months or more just to try to divine your comment. Seriously, it's very easy - just click on the "New Thread" button at the top of the topics list, under the sub-forum title. Then, just enter a title for your thread, and post away.
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:What's with your hard on for me today, buddy? why don't you take some PMS meds and chill the eff out.
:lol: Don't flatter yourself, I only have eyes for one woman. If I had it in for you, believe me you'd know it. If I can't figure out what you mean because your comment is wrapped in some obscure attempt at humor with no real content, you can't fault me for it.
Actually, I CAN fault you for it, the comment was wrapped in some form of humour, that was the point, and I see nothing wrong with it, Mr. Scrooge...
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah, I see. You're using a heretofore-unheard definition of the word "humor."
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It wasn't funny.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Tyyr wrote:It wasn't funny.

And the peanut gallery speaks. You are SUCH a me-too-er. You have any opinions of your own Tyyr? You're like that kid who hangs out with the bully (bully being an abstract point of reference), going 'YEAH' after the bully says something mean. What a sad, sad little man...
- Female Changeling
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Victory is Life wrote:

And the peanut gallery speaks. You are SUCH a me-too-er. You have any opinions of your own Tyyr? You're like that kid who hangs out with the bully (bully being an abstract point of reference), going 'YEAH' after the bully says something mean. What a sad, sad little man...
Well, if it makes you feel any better: I am not merely falling in line like you seem to think Tyyr is, I'll say it this way:

That wooshing noise you heard was your attempt at humor going over our collective heads. It wasn't funny, we didn't get it. Perhaps if you explained it we would see the error in our ways.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Victory is Life wrote:
Mikey wrote:True, and what we saw from the Tamarians was also things like transport blocking fields, etc. The fact of being on par with the UFP technologically does NOT necessarily imply have the same type of technology.

Wow...Ok...Well, I was not shooting for a f'n laugh riot, but because everyone seems so godamn LITERAl, and I have to explain the f'n joke, I WILL:

My comment was serving to MOCK EMOTE disappointment from a Tamarian that they do not have the same type of technology as the federation.

Jesus....Whats wrong with you lackluster morons...
- Female Changeling
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

So anyone without your sense of humour is stupid?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Victory is Life wrote:

:? Why are you attempting to flame Tyyr? You made a comment about which we are to take your word for the fact that it was a joke, and he commented on your "joke." He's right - it wasn't funny. If you really want to express yourself, as you claim, you have to be prepared to hear what other people have to say about your expression.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Victory is Life wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:
My comment was serving to MOCK EMOTE disappointment from a Tamarian that they do not have the same type of technology as the federation.
Ah, I see. And now it all makes sense. That's all we needed. You may not have noticed this, but around here sarcasm is a second language -- or maybe even the lingua franca -- so some of the comments you seem to be taking offense to may possibly have been meant in a somewhat-lighthearted or at least sarcastic manner.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given that what you typed up conveyed absolutely none of that or even remotely hinted at it... it wasn't funny.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:

:? Why are you attempting to flame Tyyr? You made a comment about which we are to take your word for the fact that it was a joke, and he commented on your "joke." He's right - it wasn't funny. If you really want to express yourself, as you claim, you have to be prepared to hear what other people have to say about your expression.

Honestly, you people do not deserve me as a member here. put yourself in MY shoes...Did you do it? Ok, maybe now you understand my point. If my joke isn't funny to you, then ignore it, saying it isnt funny is like, kind of insulting. I don't care if you thought it was or wasn't funny, but deconstructing an 'off the cuff' lighthearted statement (which it would be for ANYONE who watches Trek and read that) is seriously childish behaviour, you want to dissect everything someone says just so you can insult it, that shows a very evolved sensibility and high levels of 'I'm a troll that wants to look big giving a noob a hard time' maybe you would have more members if you weren't such jerk-offs -pertaining to Tyyr and whoever else wishes to perpetuate this kind of behaviour.

And Tyyr, stay out of my way and I will stay out of yours, you are annoying, and you fall in line with everyone else here faster than a battered housewife does with her husband.
- Female Changeling